Roses

I parked my back car on the street across the park, it was 3:00 pm already. I'm late to see my family again, it's a habit that I definitely need to break. I stepped out of the car and locked the door. My dark brown hair shined in the bright Summer sun; I inhaled the sweet scent of a nearby rosebush and started to walk across the park to my parent's home. The Grass needed a serious trim, it came all the way up to my thighs; I eventually made it onto the light grey concrete, I could feel the heat through my thongs, it was definitely a true Summer day. When I rang the golden doorbell, I could hear small footsteps banging on the floor. My eight -year-old sister, Alice came rushing to the door and quickly opened the white-painted door.

"Stephanie!" She screamed, jumping on me and giving me the tightest hug. I let myself in, carrying Alice on my feet. I saw my mum and dad in the kitchen serving up our late lunch. Mum and dad saw me come in and hugged me too.

"What took you so long?" Asked mum.

"We know you are 26, and you are a detective and a... whatever you call it." babbled dad.

"A sorcerer, to correct you, dad. I'm sorry I was late, I got caught up in... uh traffic," I lied, turning slightly tense.

"The classic 'I was stuck in traffic story' now tell your father and I what you were really doing," Mum said suspiciously, raising an eyebrow.

"So you know how Militsa and I broke up?" I acknowledged.

"Of course we do, honey,"  mum. I started to sweat.

"Well, I was...on a date." I signed smiling awkwardly. My parents stared at each other and laughed.

"Well, look at you, going out on dates, when you are supposed to be having lunch with your family," dad joked crossing his arms; I bit my lip and frowned. But dad smiled and punch my shoulder.

"Just messing with you kiddo." He laughed; I shook my head and grinned.

"So who is it?" Mum questioned, getting the cutlery out of the white marble draw and placing them on the black placemats.

"Let's just say that there's not gonna be another date," I said chuckling softly.

"I'm sure someone will come along," mum said

Militsa and I have been apart for a while now. I've been on too many dates with both guys and girls but I'm interested in no one at all. I sat down at the dinner table and tucked my chair in.

"Anyway, how's this little one been?" I asked, trying to cheer myself up, I looked across the table where Alice was sitting, eating her sandwich. She looked up at me and smiled.

"I'm good, I can't believe I get six whole weeks of no school!" Alice rejoiced happily.

"That's great! Have you been hanging out with any of your friends from school?" I asked, reaching for a sandwich from the centre of the table and taking a bite. Alice looked around the kitchen for mum and dad but couldn't see them around.

"I have made a new friend; I'll tell you about her after we eat," Alice whispered. A new friend huh?

Mum and dad came to the table and ate their sandwiches.

"So, what's been happening down here?" I asked them, taking another bite out of my sandwich.

"Not much," mum replied. "Actually, now that I think about it, a new girl moved into the house next door." 

"That's cool, when did she move in?" I responded.

"Around a week ago," Dad babbled with his mouth half full, I could still make out the words though. Alice and I started to laugh.