˗ˋ 07

CHAPTER SEVEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THEY REACH THE GREAT HALL

. . .

The group of five split up as they reached the Great Hall, Erin and Cynthia made their way over to the Slytherin table, Cleo and Theo to the Ravenclaw table, and Daniel to the Hufflepuff one. 

It was only really the important feast that they definitely sat in their correct tables. Most of the time they would mix it up, all sitting at the Hufflepuff table or the Ravenclaw table. The Slytherin table only happened every couple of weeks; they weren't the most welcoming bunch at times, but Erin would just have to threaten them with something to do with Quidditch and they would be fine. 

"Potter fainted!" Draco Malfoy was hissing, a gleeful look on his face. He would no doubtedly tease the Potter boy about it for the rest of the term, perhaps even the rest of the year. 

"Why?" Erin asked, and Draco looked across at his cousin, looking as if he was about to say something snarky but thinking better of it. 

"The dementors. Collapsed on the floor of the compartment. Apparently the new professor - not that he looks like one - had to revive him and everything." Draco laughed, his cronies copying his actions. 

"Collapsed? I get them draining every ounce of happiness out of you, but that's a bit much." Cynthia wrinkled her nose, catching the eye of her younger sister and sticking her tongue out at her. 

"Maybe some people experience it worse than others? I dunno." Erin shrugged, attention turned to the rows of dark black robes making their way down the centre aisle, but Professor McGonagall wasn't leading them as usual. 

"Potter and Granger aren't there either." Cynthia mumbled, looking across at Daniel who was mouthing something. "They must be with McGonagall."

They watched the Sorting inn the usual silence, cheering far too loudly when someone was sorted into Slytherin house - yet another child of a Sacred 28 family, or just another pureblood in general.

It was only after the Sorting did Potter and Granger appear, just as Flitwick was carrying away the hat and stool. They slipped into their seats, and Dumbledore began his usual speech before they ate.

"Welcome!" said Dumbledore, the candlelight shimmering on his beard. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it best to get it out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast..."

Dumbledore cleared his throat and continued, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business."

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises -or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly. "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs afoul of the Dementors," he said.

"On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"Snape isn't very happy." Erin commented, as Draco made yet another comment about Lupin and his lack of suits with elbow patches. "Yet another person was better for job than him. He looks extra upset with this one." 

"You're right, sure he isn't sucking on a lemon?" Cynthia questioned, and Erin giggled, loud enough for said teacher to stare directly at her, quickly shutting her up as the scattered applause quietened down. 

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

"That oaf!" Draco exclaimed as the rest of the houses clapped. Slowly, Erin's clapping hands slowed to a stop. 

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!"

And with the beginning speech aside, the feast that marked the start of the year began.