˗ˋ 16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE'S DISTRACTED

. . .

With the tryouts over all Erin had left to do was plan the teams. Which she did a couple hours after they had finished. But she still had one problem - what was she going to do about her Seeker?

None of those who tried out had been as good at Malfoy. Most of them were far too big to one anyways, a Seeker needed to be small, nimble and agile. Her backup seekers were good at what they did, if not then she wouldn't have picked them for the team. 

But with her plans to win the House Cup that year, she couldn't risk it. And sat up in her Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson, Erin found herself gaze out of the window beside her seat, eyes on the Quidditch statement.

Slytherin had won the Quidditch cup a few years before, the very same year that Erin had joined the team. Which the other three houses had been disappointed, the crowd that had come onto the pitch cheering and clapping after Slytherin's win had been announced was something that Erin could only dream of seeing as the captain. 

"Miss Tonks?" A voice echoed in her ear and she almost jumped out of her skin when she realised that Professor Lupin was looking at her expectantly. Beside her, Cynthia was stiffling giggles at her expression. "I understand that whilst your team might be your top priority, there are other things to life than Quidditch. Although I do know that it might be hard to see sometimes."

"Sorry Sir." Erin sighed, forcing her eyes away from the pitch and sitting up straight in her seat. In reality, Erin loved the Defense Against the Dark Arts classes just like every other student. Lupin just had a way of teaching that was so incredible and made even the most boring section interesting. But her seat had a direct view of the pitch, and that proved to be quite the distraction.

"Now that you're back on track, Miss Tonks would you mind telling us the effects of a Dementor? I believe you are rather familiar." Lupin asked, his face welcoming and comforting as he noticed the girl's slight panic at the mention.

Her eyes drifted over to the board and down to the open book below her nose, ignoring the goosebumps rippling over her arms. "They feed on human happiness and thus generate feelings of depression and despair in any person in close proximity to them, as well as making the atmosphere similar - freezing cold." She replied, settling her elbows on the table and balancing her chin on her palms. 

"Very good Miss Tonks, ten points for Slytherin." Lupin continued, Erin smiling at the response and forcing herself not to look over at the window anymore. They continued discussing the effects of Dementors and how they could be defended against with the promise as a practical lesson next time around until the end of the lesson, after which Cynthia, Erin and Daniel made their way down to the courtyard that the group had agreed to meet up in after their final lesson. 

"First Hogsmeade visit on the last week of October." Theo greeted them as they sat down on one of the benches, the Diggory boy sat on the side of the fountain that was positioned in the centre of the courtyard.

"And how do you know that?" Cleo asked. "We're in the first week of the term still - it's usually announced at the start of the month." 

"McGonagall wanted to talk to me about my Transfiguration O.W.L in her office. Says that if I work hard enough I can enter it with an 'A'. But it was on her chalk board." Theo shrugged.

"And have you taken the offer? A N.E.W.T in Transfiguration goes a pretty long way." Erin asked, Daniel shuffling slightly in his chair, yawning and promptly leaning his head on the Tonks' girl shoulder. 

"Of course I did. My dad absolutely berated me when he found out I couldn't get into the N.E.W.Ts class." Theo shrugged. "Course Ced is expected to pass with flying colours."

"Don't beat yourself up over it." Cynthia told him, watching as Erin rather suddenly shot upwards and Daniel fell and bumped his head on the back of the bench. "And where are you going?"

"I have to go write up the official list for the team." Erin was already halfway across the courtyard. "I'll see you at dinner - promise."

And with that, she disappeared within the castle.