t h i r t e e n

The tension in the was awkward as we stared at each other. Cade seemingly didn't know what to do with himself because he took a step forward and then retreated again, rubbing over the back of his neck.

A sigh left my lips, and I looked around. There were all the tables like usual, the door to the kitchen was open, and light protruded from its windows.

But my gaze stayed stuck on what stood behind him.

"Did you do that?"

The question was so stupid that I just wanted to sink into the ground. I was ready to hit myself.

Of course, he had done that. There was no one else but him and me in this building. My hand clenched into a fist, and I dug my nails into my skin. Stupid. So fucking stupid.

A small, hesitant smile grew on his lips, and he threw a brief look backward. His eyes met mine again. "It took some time to get all the blankets, but yes, I did."

I stepped from one foot to the other, moving from side to side. My shoulders were tense.

"Are all these from your room?" I asked, looking at the blanket fort he built. He had made it so that one blanket was fastened over two tables that stood a few feet apart. There were fairy lights everywhere, lightening everything.

Many pillows were stagged up inside. And there was a fuzzy, white blanket that covered the grey, hard ground. I swallowed and sighed.

What he had done was very thoughtful. And I had to admit, it was cute.

Finally, that stupid grin I knew blossomed on his lips again. He tilted his head to the side. "A few of the pillows are mine, but that pretty stuff is from my neighbors." He winked at me. "You know, I'm familiar with breaking into places I shouldn't be in."

My eyes widened. "Cade-"

He shook his head and chuckled. "I'll bring everything back where it belonged, Holly. I promise. They won't even notice."

My brows furrowed. It took me a second, but then I nodded. With Cade, I had to get used to things like these. I knew that.

I couldn't hide my chuckle as I rolled my eyes. "Typical."

A few seconds passed in silence. I bit my lip and then remembered what I was still holding in my hand. I lifted my left hand. "I brought some M&M's," I muttered loud enough so that he could hear. "I didn't know if I was supposed to bring anything."

He nodded immediately, crossing his arms over his chest. "That's perfect."

My heartbeat started to speed up. I was too nervous about all of this.

He gestured to the blanket fort and tilted his head to the side. "Want to get inside?"

I swallowed and then nodded, my hand falling to my side again. I made my way past him and kneeled down to crawl inside. I had to admit that it was quite cozy in here. There was enough space for both of us, and neither would have to be squished into an uncomfortable corner.

Cade was quick to follow me and then let a blanket fall over the opening in front so that there was no one but us. I sat down between the pillows, stuffing one behind my back.

I watched as Cade moved to the side and turned on another pair of fairy lights. I smiled as the lights that were shaped like little stars brightened. They hung above us. In here, it felt like it was just us two.

Like we were alone in this world.

My eyes dropped to the white, fuzzy blanket under me. I laid down the package of M&M's in a bowl that stood not far away from me and leaned back again. I didn't know what to do. Or how to start. But maybe, I didn't need to.