t e n

I giggled up at Cade. He had sat up and was looking down at me with a grin. He raised the bottle to his mouth, taking another sip.

I watched as his throat bobbed when he swallowed.

"I want some too," I grinned. I leaned my head back and opened my mouth.

Cade coughed. "You sure?"

I gave him a thumbs up. He shrugged and hiccuped before he tilted the bottle over my head. The liquid ran into my mouth, and I immediately had to cough it up again. It ran out of the side of my mouth, splashing down my chin and neck. I held onto Cade's knee as I rolled to the side, feeling like I was dying from all the coughs.

He let out a surprised chuckle, placing the bottle next to my head. His hand patted my hair. "Poor Holly," he giggled.

My brows furrowed, and I pressed my head between his knee and the ground. I coughed one or two more times and then used his knee to help me sit up. Was the world moving around me, or was it just the alcohol?

I guess I would never know.

Once I was sat, Cade stretched out his legs, so I was sitting in between them. "That was so not nice," I grumbled, slapping his thigh.

He giggled and grabbed my hand to stop me from hitting him again. It didn't seem to have affected him at all. He pulled me forward.

I squeaked as I fell into his arms, and he laughed, letting himself fall on his back. I landed on him. My hands were planted on his chest as I looked down on him. I couldn't hold in my giggle.

Cade was smiling, lifting his hand. He stroked my dark hair behind my ear. "You're so beautiful," Cade babbled. His hand curved around my cheek, and his thumb moved over my skin. "Have I ever told you that?"

I rolled my eyes, smiling lazily. I tilted my head to the side, trying to get closer to his hand. He was my warmth against the cold.

"I mean it, Holly," he continued, gazing up at me. His cheeks were blushed, and I couldn't tell if it was only the liquor speaking. "You might not remember the first time we saw each other, but I do. And you've been beautiful to me ever since then. Since day one."

"That's a great lulled speech," I giggled.

I laid my right hand over his and leaned down to him, giving his forehead a kiss. I let out a short chuckle and moved down to his lips, giving him a kiss. Cade's eyes widened.

I leaned back again, planting my left hand onto his chest to keep me steady. The world continued to move.

"But you're drunk, Cade. We're drunk."

He shook his head, "Holly..."

I took his hand from my cheek into my hand and squeezed it. I smiled down at him and laid it down onto his chest, holding it with both of my hands now.

We were staring at each other. There was nothing, absolutely nothing I could have said. My heart was pounding several miles per hour, and I knew it wouldn't stop.

Maybe I was experiencing my first heart attack. Or I was just drunk.

I giggled at the crease that formed between his brows. He looked so silly under me and oh so confused.

There was a splash of sadness, and then it washed away like water in the rain.

He groaned and sat up. My hand was still on his chest.

We looked into each other's eyes for a moment and leaned closer.

But before anything could have happened, he'd already laid his hands around my upper arms. He started to stand up.