f o u r

The light that Cade was shining into the room didn't help at all. I stood up slowly and groaned against the pain in my knees. I hadn't thought about the aftermath after I had climbed in here.

Why had I thought that I would land on my feet?

I had never been really good at PE. The only sports I could really do were the ones involving throwing or kicking balls. I could let out parts of my aggression. And it felt good throwing these balls into the faces of people I didn't like.

Oh god, how much I wanted to throw a ball at Cade right now.

If I'd find one in this big mess, I probably would without another thought.

He was the one that had brought me into this...

"Holly?" And there was his voice again.

His stupid and deep voice.

"Yes?" I asked breathlessly. I stroked the strands of hair that had escaped my bun back behind my ear. I was a mess. My knees were throbbing, and it felt like my hands were burning.

Hopefully, all of that would go away soon.

"Are you at the door yet?"

I huffed.

How fast did he think I could stand up after this?

I swallowed down my anger and took a step forward. Because I could barely see anything, my hip bumped against something. Metal rattled, and my breath hitched. "I'm trying, Cade."

I tried to see what damage I had caused, but it was too dark. "Hold the torch right, dammit! I can barely see anything!"

He adjusted it.

Finally, I could make out some things. I was standing next to a metal table, where a few metal pots and glasses stood. I had been lucky that only the metal had moved. Cleaning up broken glasses in the dark would have been a challenge.

"How long will it take?"

"Just-" I gritted my teeth as pain radiated from my left knee. My breath hitched. I had really done a number on myself. "Just quit talking."

I looked around and could finally make out the kitchen door to my left. I breathed in deeply and started walking. At this point, I just wanted to return to my room. Laying in my warm bed with tea and a good book in my hands sounded like the right idea.

I sighed. First, I needed to get some food.

I lifted my hand forward, and my fingers brushed the door. A smile bloomed on my lips. At least, I had done one thing right.

My hand reached down to the door handle, and I pulled. Nothing moved. Just like I had expected. I shook my head and bit my lip. "I'm at the door. What am I supposed to do now?"

"Just open it," came Cade's excellent answer.

I rolled my eyes and huffed. "Cade, I don't know-"

"Just turn the latch."

I stilled and looked down. Right, there it was. It seemed so easy... "And you dare and say you can't open this?"

I heard his laughter. "I could've. I just wanted to see how far you'd go."

Heat ran through my veins, and I felt my heartbeat speed up. My hand clenched around the door handle, and I ground my teeth. That fucking bastard. Who did he think he was?

I breathed in deeply.

I grabbed the latch and turned it without another word, waiting for him to come. I opened the door, and the light from behind me disappeared. I could hear his every footstep.