One can never help being born into perfection

Maxon POV

We are an hour into the attack. Down in the depths of the saferoom, we have no idea how close they are to retreat or how fatal the attack has been. If Kriss wasn't lying, it wasn't going to end anytime soon. 

America and I had retreated to the corner of the room with the twins. Since there hadn't been an attack in so long the room hadn't been stocked up with more than a few chairs and couches. Luckily I had grabbed a few papers and folders including the petition. As I sat holding Eadlyn, America and I discussed our previous conversation with Kriss.

"Is she lying?" I questioned. 

She sighed. "I'm not sure, I believe some parts about the fours and fives. But I don't really trust her every last word." She quickly glanced over to where Kriss sat talking to our guards.

"I agree, it just seems so out of place that she would show up and have a sudden change of heart after weeks of work on her petition." She nodded in agreement with a somber look on her face. I quickly grabbed her hand, "What's wrong darling?"

She started crying. "It's just not fair. We just had our kids, it was supposed to be such a happy time but now we're down here again with another rebel attack worried for everyone's safety. Maxon, we can't raise kids in an environment like this."

I nodded in agreement, taking in the truth and reality of her words. "I know darling, I just need time" I murmured mainly to myself as America sat there silently worrying with tears streaming down her face.

"Maxon, when this ends we need to introduce the twins to the country like  I was talking about earlier. We also need to directly address this issue before a rebel can. It all needs to come from us first, that way we can be seen as people who care."

"How are you always so smart?" I say with a chuckle.

"One can never help being born into perfection." Is what she replies with. I smile glad we still have our little inside jokes from the selection. While we were making a joke I had to admit her plan was brilliant. America had really become such an amazing queen. At first, she was nervous about simply becoming a princess but now I can't imagine a better queen, wife, or mother. She even gained more support than any previous monarch, which is why all these attacks have been so mysterious. The number shows everyone at least tolerates us. However, their actions demonstrate the complete opposite. 

"Well, are you going to sit there all day or help me write a press statement?"

"I guess I'll help" I then go get out the statement that Aspen and I had been working on and realized it was going to be no use now.

America POV

We must have worked 2 hours drafting a statement based on the old one. Eadlyn and Ahren had been drifting in and out of sleep making it hard to focus on the task at hand for more than a few minutes. I had already mentally made a note to have the staff put a crib in the saferoom just in case something like this happens again. Maxon and I had been alternating who was holding them until we finally figured out they were always less fussy when lying next to each other. 

"Does this sound good? 'Today the palace was invaded by a group of petitioners who have expressed concern about dissolving the castes. We would like to inform all citizens that the castes are still being dissolved and we will do our best to work out any concerns you may have'" Maxon read.

"I think so. It gives them a sense of power which is always appreciated."

He smiled. "Now what should we do about Kriss?"

I sighed. She had me torn on so many things, "I don't think we should press charges" I sucked in a deep breath, "But I don't think we should be friends either."

He looked down at the floor nodding. "I think you're right."

"Let's go tell her"

As we walked over I linked my arm through Maxons leaving Ahren and Eadlyn on a nearby cot. When we approached her she quickly stood up.

"It's fine Kriss you can sit down"

"Of course. sorry" 

"Kriss we were obviously very close, but I can't have you around anymore. The crown will not be pressing any charges if you agree to leave Angeles and keep quiet and out of petitions and such." Maxon explained.

Her expression was one of relief, sadness, and guilt. "Of course, I'll leave as soon as this is over. I'm so sorry, thank you. I was going to leave the country with my husband anyway. He wants to go study abroad again"

We both said our goodbyes and retreated back to the corner where our children we sleeping peacefully. I envied them a bit, here we were in a life-threatening attack, and they were just concerned about where their twin was. I can't wait to see the bond they have as they grow older. 

Happy new year! Thanks for reading.

-Kate