You broke her heart

Maxon POV

"Hello?"

"Uh, hi, is this August?" I responded lamely

"No, sir. Mr. Illea is not in right now. Would you like to leave a message?" His secretary explained. 

"Could you please tell him Max from Angeles would like to speak with him and say it's urgent," I added, not wanting anyone to know the truth. All it took was one person to leak this to the press before we could get our official statement out, and that would be disastrous. I looked back over to America to find her cooing over the babies as I went to join her. No need to stress if there's no one to talk to. She quickly noticed I was there  and smiled, 

"Anything I can do?"

I sighed, "Not unless you can get Kriss to speak to me or August on the phone."

"No, I guess I can't." She reasoned before looking like she was mentally debating whether to tell me something. "Maxon did I ever tell you about Kriss and her link to...." she hesitated, "August"

What? How would those two know each other and why didn't America tell me? While I internally asked a million questions all that actually came out of my mouth was, "What about Kriss and August?"

She bit her lip in a way that told me I wasn't going to like what comes next. "Kriss is a northern rebel. Do you remember that star necklace she always wore?" I shook my head in confusion. "Well, that is their symbol. It actually turns out a lot of people were with them. My dad, Garvil, and at least 2 other girls in the selection. I can't believe I never told you, I promise I wasn't keeping it a secret I just" she trailed on. I grabbed her hand showing her I wasn't mad but rather perplexed.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. Kriss told me herself a few days before the selection ended. It's part of why I'm so surprised she would sign something that contradicts the very thing she was fighting for."

"Huh" is all I said, now wondering if August was our ally after all. "America, do you think I should trust August?"

She bit her lip in concentration before responding, "Actually yes, I think Kriss might be trying to get back at you."

"Why?" I questioned

"Maxon, you broke her heart." I quickly shook my head confused. Kriss said she was totally fine with not winning. She even came to our wedding. That's when it hit me how all her actions had all been of a heartbroken mannor, but calculated? I still wasn't sure that was like her. I may not love her, but I refuse to believe I would have married someone like that. I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of crying, reminding me once again that I have more responsibilities now. It almost feels like I just have more people to fail. 

"Shh, it's okay. Mommas here." America soothed while picking up Eadlyn. I then picked up Ahren mimicking America's voice. Then I picked up Ahren. I rocked him back and forth until he fell asleep again and I was able to set him down in the portable crib once more. 

America POV

I watched Maxon in awe as he cradled and soothed Ahren. Almost forgetting that I had Eadlyn myself. As we were just setting the twins down again, we both looked up at each other and smiled. It was a sweet moment for us. Since the twins were born life had been anything but the peaceful days we had come to expect. Now in the middle of this crisis, we had just a few brief moments to breathe and bask in each other's presence. Our brief smile was soon cut short with the Satrvos coming in to deliver news.

"Your Majesties, Lady Kriss is here."

"What?" Maxon gaped "I thought she was refusing to meet with me."

"She was originally," Starvos explained, " Then today she showed up and is now demanding a meeting."

Maxon just stood there, but I ran out of that office. I could feel my pulse rising as I escorted myself to the great room to face the woman who has taken so much from me in little, unexpected ways. I could feel the passion and fire that I felt the first time I realized I wanted  Maxon. This woman was trying to take away everything I fought for and I was about to make sure she knew just how mad I was.

When I finally arrived in the great room Kriss stood up and curtsied, but I was past any nicety with her. "What the hell are you doing in my house?" I boomed

"Nice to see you too, America," She said bitterly. Gone was the heartbroken girl who I had seen at my wedding. In her place was a mature lady with a hidden agenda. 

"Wish I could say the same." I continued, "Remember when you said I was trashy? Huh? Well, who is trashy now? Blackmailing fives into singing a petition so you can keep a label? Because that seems pretty damn trashy to me." I sassed.

She remained very calm, "America there's more to it than that."

"Is that why you refused to meet with us? Because 'there's more to it'. Maxon may not have married you, Kriss. And I hate to say this but he loves you and you broke his heart, on the same day as he had his children, so I would love any explanation to make that better." Just then the rebel alarm went off. An almost foreign sound since that last fatal attack. All I recall is Kriss screaming,

"Run"

And so we did.

Thanks for 173 reads! When I first posted this I expected no one to read it and it's so crazy to think that people like my writing.  I'm also wondering if small frequent chapters or longer more spaced-out chapters are better? Please comment on which one you prefer. Thanks again!

-Kate