Chapter 3

"Can I help you?" I said, putting my pen down and leaning my shoulders back while flicking one side of my headset off.

I took a quick once over, taking in details that I overlooked in our previous encounter. He was 6 foot tall with shaggy black hair and tanned skin. He was mixed blood, specifically Japanese and Caucasian. He was slender and built but not overly. Overall, he was decent looking.

Raising his hands, palms up, in the universal sign of peace, he began talking.

"I was just wondering if you wanted to join the swim team. You swam quite well today. Sorry for the contact, didn't mean anything by it. Anyway, if you're interested-"

"I don't do teams." My voice was clipped and the message was straightforward. Leaning forward, I picked up my pen and began to scribble again.

"But we could really-"

"Are you stupid? Or maybe you didn't hear me? Not interested."

"Okay. Fine."

As he walked away, I heard him mutter "bitch".

Raising my voice, I called back, "What was that asshole?"

The class was dead quiet except now, there was a low buzzing sound - kind of like something purring or growling.

He paused. Pretty sure he hadn't intended for me to hear that. Turning around slowly, he looked at me before yelling, "You heard me, bitch!"

The whispers began to break out like wildfire in the classroom. The teacher wasn't here yet so I'm going to fix the situation right now.

Taking off my headset completely and laying on the table, I crossed my arms and smirked.

"That all you got pretty boy?"

Fully facing me, he squared his shoulders and lowered his stance - clearly preparing for a fight.

"Dude don't provoke her."

"Lay off man, you got a death wish or what?"

There were people telling him to stand down but I could see the want to fight in his eyes.

"No way. She doesn't disrespect me and get away with it. Nobody is to interfere, and I mean NOBODY." He said to his friends. To me, "You're not only a bitch, but you're crazy!"

Giving him a predatory smile, I stood up with my hands flat on the desk in front of me.

"Call me crazy, one more time... And I'll show you fucking psycho."

"Crazy bitc-"

Vaulting over my table, I lunged for his neck. Somebody screamed and there was the sound of people running out of the classroom in the background, but I paid little attention to that as I continued my attack on this boy.

Catching me, anime boy brought my upper body over his head and into a nearby table. In an attempt to pin me down with his arms instead of his body weight, he left his abdomen clear for me to kick it. Folding my legs, I kicked outward, making him crash into a table behind him. Twice more did he try to pacify me instead of fight me, and every time I hit him and pushed him away from me.

Standing up, I got myself into a fighting stance whilst waiting for my opponents next move.

"Coward! Fight back! Don't hold back just because I'm a girl!" I snarled like an animal but I refuse to fight a man who wouldn't fight me back.

Glancing right and left, I realized that only a handful people were left and most were standing in a circle around us like a makeshift arena. Some were even standing at the door like guards and some time in the fight, a lot of the tables were cleared. Not once did they try to help the guy, even as he refused to fight me getting beat up in the process.

So far, there was a bruise on his jaw and cuts on his arm - my nails are all sharpened into claws - his uniform is in shreds. When he just stood there, I got even angrier. Just as I was about to shout at him again, he lunged for me. I wasn't expecting that so I ended up on the floor with him straddling me, hindering my movements. I thrased trying to get him off of me.

When I tried to claw at him, he took that time to try to pin my wrists to the floor. But in the middle of his attempt, I heard a snapping sound followed by the sound of my pendant sliding away from me. The sound of obvious growls and a gasp filled the air not moments after - the gasp coming from him.

Momentarily distracted, I didn't realize that he stopped trying to pin me down. Looking away from the pendant that's now more than five feet away, I glared at him only to see his pupils dialate.

Not comfortable with the situation, I tried to wriggle myself free just as his head lowered towards my neck and I was in no position to cover it. Letting go of one of my wrists, he took a fistful of my hair and gently tugged my head backwards, barring my neck even more for his nudging nose.

Perplexed, by the sudden turn of events I didn't try to resist, only think. Pieces of information began to slowly click in as he continued his assault on my neck while I remained immobilized.

The growling. The commanding tone. The way no one opposed him.

"Mate." He said the same time I exclaimed, "Well shit, you're a werewolf."