Call One (Pt. 1)

November 16, 2017

8.00PM
- Somewhere in the dark alleys -

The starless black sky hovered over the quiet alleys. It was minutes after a light rain and no one seemed to be around and about.

Footsteps rushed down on one particular wet floored path. Water splashed in every step the runaway took. She was panting in between breaths, as though her lungs were deprived of oxygen. She also appeared as though she has been running the whole night without stop.

The dimmed light managed to lead her into the labyrinth of alleyways, as the more she ventured in, the more disoriented she became.

She could not afford to stop. She could sense the person who has been chasing her was still nearby.
Unlike her footsteps, his was calm and relaxed. It was as though her efforts to flee from him has the least effect on him.

Nonetheless, the woman persevered to make a run, sucking back her tears and tightening her jaw. When her legs were slowly begging her to stop, she turned around, plastering the back of her hand over her mouth while thinking that the perpetrator would miss the sound of her shortness of breaths.

A low-hanging bulb was flickering on her right and she consciously turned towards it.

To her horror, the man in black raincoat entered her vision.

In a heartbeat, the woman dashed away as fast as she could. She glared at the damped road as the light shower of snowflakes continued hitting her face.

When she decided to look up, she found a massive stockpile of trash nearby a lightless corner. She squeezed herself behind it, cowering low and shivering from the coldness and fright.

She pulled out her cellphone and dialed a number.

8.05PM
- Sungun Port -

"Ahh, how I hate stakeouts," grumbled a hungry detective at the back of the car. "It's cold out here."

"Stop nagging, Sungyoon. We're close to locking up these bastards," said Daeyeol, the leader of the team.

Detective Sungyoon could only raise a brow, still showing no sign of motivation to continue any further. His partner next to him pat his shoulder and laughed lightly.

"No matter how much you stared at the his head, it won't burn off, Sungyoon-sunbae," Jangjun stated with a voice so light-hearted. "I know what you really want to do tonight. Ara ara."

"Ahh!" the other detective from the front turned back and grinned excitedly. "Sungyoon-sunbae is getting married in a month, right?! Aigoo, Jinjja. Here we are trying to catch some bad guys, and you want to have some fun with your other half."

Sungyoon hissed as a warning in which was pointless because he still kicked the junior detective's back seat seconds later.

"Seriously, be quiet!" Chief Daeyeol reprimanded them and smacked the folder in his hand on the detective beside him. "Are you seriously slacking on the job right in front of your chief, Son Youngtaek?!"

"Shhh!"

Sungyoon hushed his senior abruptly as he pointed to a grey van that just drove past their stationery black sedan. Daeyeol chose to ignore the rude interruption from Sungyoon and eyed on the grey van's license plate.

Checking with his file, it was the vehicle they were waiting for. Giving his juniors a nod and convincing look, the four of them geared up and opened the doors of their vehicle quietly.

Sungyoon was about to step out when his phone vibrated.

He bit his lips, watching his fiancee's name flash on the phone's screen. Even though he wanted to pick it up, he knew he could not do that in the middle of a stakeout. She should understand too. She was getting married to one of the busiest detectives in Seoul.

With that in mind, Sungyoon tossed his phone on his seat and closed the door.

8.10PM
- Behind the massive stockpile -

Listening to the ringing which sounded forever, she ended the call to her fiancé. Her heart sank, feeling mostly disappointed that her desperate call for him was ignored.

Without wasting another second, she remained hidden from the perpetrator and so she made another call.

8.12PM
- Emergency Call Centre -

Beeps and murmurs filled in the office of the call operators. By the desk of a police officer who just finished a call, he was about to reach his mug of coffee when the red tab of an incoming call blinked on his screen. He flicked his neck to the side, removing the tiredness off his mind before adjusting his headphone.

Corporal Hong Joochan clicked to accept the call.

"This is 112 Emergency."

"Someone... Someone is trying to kill me."

***
Thank you for reading!