Call Five

April 4, 2020
12.00PM
Sungun Police Agency
Cafeteria

A well-dressed man in suit sips his coffee, scrolling his iPad and observing the officers around him. His attention begins to focus on an incoming group of officers who are joking and slapping each other’s back for the fun of it.

“Aigoo! Jangjun-ah! You need to stop advocating homeless dogs, yah!” An older officer nudges his elbow at the tall officer in leather jacket.

“Why not? They need a home too!” Jangjun smiles with a little hint of shyness.

“You’re sure you’re not doing for the sake of your fame?”

“What are you talking about?” Jangjun winks as he joins the line to collect his food. “I am born to be famous.”

A burst of laughter explodes in that group and the observer smirks when he hears the remark. The observer apparently is a journalist for a local newspaper. Certainly, he is there to find some scoop he can write about. Watching Jangjun, the observer pulls out a recorder in a form of a pen and presses on the button to speak.

“Sergeant Lee Jangjun. Police celebrity for advocating homeless animals, human rights and bullying. He is well-known among young girls and men. Not only he has the looks and strong physique, he is also good at his job,” the observer notes. “Being part of the top team in the Violent Crimes Unit, his name popped out easily, especially for the recent case kidnapping case of a senior which was also solved within a week. He was known to lead the team into finding the perpetrator’s location after stalking the last person that met the victim.”

While he is recording, Jangjun receives his tray of food and is about to sit down when he looks up and shouts a name across the cafeteria.

“Yah, Tag! Son Youngtaek! Hurry up!”

The journalist removes his thumb off the pen and switches his focus to the officer who is walking with two lady officers on his sides.

“Sorry ladies. We have to continue this later,” Sergeant Son grins, waving at the ladies who are pouting as soon as he leaves their side.

As Youngtaek scurries to the line and retrieves his food, other ladies in the cafeteria whisper behind soft laughter, swooning over the handsome young officer. The journalist smirks again, pressing the record button on his pen.

“Sergeant Son Youngtaek. All girls’ favourite. Undeniably the most handsome officer in the Violent Crime Unit. There are also rumours that he has photographic memory. This came about when he was able to identify suspects and their personal details precisely, no matter how many cases he is taking. He can never be mistaken when he does investigation. As a result, he is popular for his incredible skills, apart from his looks.”

“Aigoo, Jangjun-sunbae,” Youngtaek drawls as he carries his tray to Jangjun who are seated with his pals. “You are too early to be eating now. Aren’t we supposed to be heading to Oh Seongyun’s house? We have to trace her steps before the murder happened.”

“It can wait! It can wait, jebal,” Jangjun groans, shaking his metal rice bowl. “Sit down and eat already.”

Youngtaek smiles at Jangjun’s impatience as they has been doing an all-nighter last night, trying to find the suspect to a serial killing for the past months. There has already been four victims with the same injury to the head. The profiles of the victims are about the same age, uniquely working in retail shops located at Eunhyedong.