Call Four

November 25, 2017
3.00PM
Interrogation Room

“Psychopath?”

Joochan repeated the word in shock. He could not believe what he was hearing. To think that the suspect could be this dangerous, Joochan gulped hard.

Jaehyun remained in his silence, witnessing the sense of fear paint Joochan’s face. The prosecutor did not mean to scare Joochan but he wanted to know what kind of officer Joochan was.

“Is he a serial killer?” Joochan mustered his bravery to ask the prosecutor.

Jaehyun shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe he is, maybe he is not. What is for sure, it is not Ko Dongcheol.”

Joochan covered his face, wiping from his forehead to his chin. The voice he heard in the call was reverberating in his brain again. He could not believe he would entangle himself with a serial killer.

He began to wonder if he was ready to continue listening to another word from this prosecutor. Joochan faced the prosecutor whose face was fixed with a smile for a long time.

“You... Are you trying to scare me?”

Taken aback from the unexpected question, Jaehyun raised both his brows. It was too early for Joochan to act defensive.

“You are telling me all this so that I will surrender to you and do whatever you want me to do. You’re trying to manipulate me into giving in and admitting that I was bribed?!”

Jaehyun sighed and finally his smile reduced alittle. “I am not trying to scare you. Are you stupid?”

“What did you just say?!” Joochan gritted his teeth.

The prosecutor stood up, pacing forward before sitting at the edge of the desk where he could tower Joochan in a dominant way while he was sitting down.

“Even if you want to chicken out now, it is too late, Corporal Hong Joochan.”

Joochan frowned. “That is not what I am trying to say. I just did not want to fall for the same trick.”

“I am not here to joke around. Our respected detective just lost his other half,” Jaehyun began to express some form of emotions despite his position that demanded him to be objective. “He has solved many of my cases and I want to help him find peace. You may not know him well but he was never someone who gave up on any case. He never failed us so I don’t want to fail him too.”

Joochan nodded eventually, showing understanding. Seeing that they both finally were on the same wavelength, Jaehyun crossed his arms and talked pretty much softer than earlier.

It was as though he did not want to be heard. Joochan believed that even in this compact dark room, there were ears listening and eyes watching.

“When the news came to me, I left everything and went straight to the crime scene. Even though it is not my case, I insisted to help. I read through the files, the evidence and the recording. I could not find any leads to capture the real suspect. When they brought up about Ko Dongcheol, I noticed a familiar setup.”

“Setup?”

Discreetly, Jaehyun nodded. “It stinks corruption. The real suspect has strings on the police and the prosecution. He was able to make police validate fake evidence and the prosecutor to criminalise a low profile offender. Actually, I was there during your trial and I was about to leave that puppet show until you appeared.”