Call Nine

April 5, 2020

9.00AM

Sungun Police Agency

Level Two -Violent Crimes Unit Office

It is another morning in the headquarters and the Chief of Violent Crimes Unit exits the elevator with a hot takeaway coffee. He has just ended a call with the prosecutor who updated him on matters relating to the serial killer which was captured last night. Daeyeol was a little worried knowing that the Gojeong-dong suspect did not confess to all murders which were tagged to his name.

According to Youngtaek, Jangjun spent five hours of interrogation without break and yet they both could not determine him as the killer of the remaining victims. It bothers Daeyeol to the core. He cannot even eat his mother's heartfelt dish for breakfast.

As the tall young man marches down the corridor, he notices a huge crowd of female officers gathering around the other end of the hallway. Their large presence piques his interest, although he never really cares about other people besides his duty and his team.

"Mwoya?" Daeyeol blurts to himself, sipping a small gulp.

His eyes travel up and he immediately frowns. The women are hogging the Gents. What ridicule is this?

"Morning, Chief!"

Daeyeol turns behind and acknowledges Donghyun who greets him. "Do you know what's going on there?"

"Ahh," Donghyun hums, wondering the same thing. "Beats me. It could only be a celebrity or Kpop Idol that is hiding in there. Jankanman... Chief, guests should only stay on the first level, right? Why would he be on this level? Ah, some of them think they are big shots, walking around the HQ as though this is their place."

"Are you done nagging?" Daeyeol states emotionlessly.

Donghyun coughs a little and bows. "Joesonghabmida. Pardon me."

"Get rid of them now," Daeyeol commands as he pockets his free hand and walks into the office with a loud shut of the door.

Donghyun squints his eyes, checking if his Chief is planning to stand at the door to watch him do what he was told. Donghyun turns his face towards the crowd and grumbles.

The Vehicle Specialist Sergeant Kim Donghyun is always seen wearing a black leather jacket or windbreaker, along with skinny jeans or khakis. Today, he is wearing the jacket and khaki pants, inevitable carrying a teen gangster look. He could go undercover as a high school student and no one will have any idea he is indeed a fully groomed officer in the Violent Crimes Unit.

"Yah!" Donghyun exploits his loud voice, causing the women to jolt on their footing and turn towards him.

"Officer Donghyun-ssi! You scared us!" says one female officer. "D-Don't get the wrong idea! We are not doing anything wrong! We are just waiting for him to come out-"

"Who is it? Nugu-sijyo?"

"Mollayo! We don't know his face and name! That is why we want to see him and ask him! But he doesn't want to come out!"

"Aish, move away! It's not like you can go inside," Donghyun sounds frustrated, getting fired up by the women's obsession with the unknown man.

The women in uniform and some in office clothes make way for Donghyun. Even though his shorter height could have made him look timid, he walks with grace and confidence. He opens the door and finds no one inside.

Donghyun fixes his eyes on one of the cubicles that is occupied. Instead of calling the man out, he kicks it loud enough to break it.

"Get out of here! You are making a scene at the police quarters. Yah, are you not ashamed of yourself? I can handcuff you right now for trespassing, ara?" Donghyun goes on rambling at the unknown visitor that has gathered unwanted attention.