BONUS CHAPTER - Winter Solstice

Five Years Later

Zuko stood at the edge of town in the Southern Water Tribe, wrapped heavily in garments that had been specially made just for this trip. He was a day early, and his earthly companion was a day late.

"Are you just going to stand here and wait for her until she arrives?" Toph asked as she approached Zuko's side. She'd slipped out of her shoes just for a moment in order to locate him and was now hastily pulling them back over her freezing toes.

"We've been together full time for almost three years now, Toph. She's been gone for a month and it's felt more lonely than my years in banishment. So yes, I'm going to stand here and wait for her."

His eyes sat on the horizon. Zuko had offered Kai an airship for her travels, but she'd expressed the need to take more traditional means of travel, "like he good ol' days", as she'd put it.

"How are you guys?" Toph asked.

She knew that the couple had clashed for a short amount of time after Zuko backed out of the Harmony Restoration Movement, and then things had come to a head during the Battle for Yu Dao.

Zuko smiled. "We're good — really good, I think."

The two stood there for some time, waiting for Kai's arrival. Their anticipation was fruitless, they both knew that Kai could not be coaxed into showing up any sooner than her standard "fashionably late". Zuko and Toph began walking back to the commons.

"You know, Aang hasn't seen Katara in almost a year. At least when you and Kai get married you won't have to worry about a bunch of old people making sure you follow centuries old superstitions." Toph said.

"Yeah, besides the Fire Sages. They've been on my ass about producing an heir to the throne, I guess they're concerned about Azula being free and all of the assassination attempts."

"Produce?!" Toph gagged and Zuko laughed. They gathered a few cups of coffee from one of the elders, settling into a bench near an ensuing snowball fight between two groups of playful children.

"Besides, I don't even know that Kai is up for the whole 'marriage' thing... she doesn't exactly like being tied down, if you haven't noticed." Zuko felt around in one of his many pockets. There, a ring sat, one that he wasn't sure would ever be used.

"Being married doesn't mean being tied down, Zuko." Toph said, "It just means that you're committed to loving each other even when things get tough. You guys went to war against each other and then made up the next day. If that isn't commitment, I'm not sure what is."

Zuko grinned. He left the ring in his pocket alone and sipped the warm coffee. It felt nice against his wind chapped lips. The pair soon heard a woman's shrill scream from the edge of town and, just as they were about to jump into action, they heard a very familiar voice.

"You people tame snow leopard caribou and you're squealing over a freakin' spider/alligator hybrid? Give me a break."

"I'll give the two of you some time to catch up. Tell Kai I'll be in Katara's bridal tent, suffering through endless wedding planning with the other hens." Toph said. With that, she was gone.

Zuko stood to his feet, scurrying from multiple legs vibrated the ground and he grew increasingly anxious. Kai turned the corner on her newest canyon crawler, narrowly avoiding taking out the side of a hut. A second crawler was right beside her, this one with a large box strapped on its back.

Kai hopped off of the beast the moment she laid eyes on her lover. She raced toward Zuko and he held his arms open, embracing her affectionately when her chest met his.