Pretty Little Thing

Kai sat up high in the tree line, her back resting against the bark as she bit into a ripe red apple. She was taking a break from traveling. After all, it'd been well over a week since she'd left the warm confines of the barn loft walls. She tried not to think about that night, pushed the memory of it to the very back of her mind as she read a book.

She could still see the scene in front of her though. The room that she'd left dark and empty for Zuko to find when he got back. She kept telling herself that it was better that way, sneaking off into the night. Believing that if she hadn't left by morning she might've not left at all, and neither would he. They both had different missions to complete and couldn't let minuscule things like loneliness slow them down.

Her reading was interrupted though, Kai could hear a voice coming from a nearby canyon. She stuck her book back in her satchel and swung on the limb, nimbly landing on another nearby — and then another, and another. Over and over until she reached the wood line. There it was, a ponytail sticking up out of the dry ground.

"I admit it, you're cute." Sokka was stuck up right in a crevice with his clever prey sitting on top of his head. The adorable baby moose lion licked its paws, "Okay, you've convinced me. If I get out of this alive, it's a comically correct vegetarian existence for me. No meat!"

The group had finally decided to take a break. Between running from Zuko and fighting Azula, looking for Kai and constantly searching for their next meal, they were all beat. And Aang needed to train, he had to get the hang of earth bending soon if he wanted to stand a chance against the Fire Lord.

Kai giggled as she watched the boy from afar, hopping down from the tree. She made a low whistle that only the baby moose lion heard, it hopped off of Sokka's head and dashed over toward her, out of his narrow line of sight. She leaned down and scratched under his chin, handing him an apple that he took in his mouth. The adorable creature carried it over to the trapped boy and dropped it in front of him.

"Hey, looks like my karma is already paying off!"

Sokka struggled, unable to reach the fruit in his new stance as a lone head sticking out of the ground. Kai sighed at her failed attempt to help him without being noticed. She sighed and stepped out of the woods, walking quietly over to the new stranger. He couldn't hear her light footsteps until she stepped into his field of vision — that was one element of being the perfect assassin that'd come easiest for her.

"Aren't you a pretty little thing?" Kai said to the cub and she crouched down on one knee, stroking its ear. Sokka might've been startled had he not taken a good look at her face. Instead he took a deep breath and was ready to lay on the charm.

"Most women call me handsome, but thank you!" He said with a charismatic smile while lowering his voice.

Kai rolled her eyes and grabbed the apple from the ground, dusting it off and holding it close to Sokka's mouth, "Eat."

Without thinking, he took a huge bite of the mouthwatering apple in front of him. Chewing it quickly before chomping down again, unable to get enough of its sweet juices. Kai grabbed a handful of nuts out of her satchel and let her legs fall out from under her, deciding that now was as good a time as ever for a snack. When the apple was reduced to just a core Kai tossed the remains into the woods.

"How long ya been stuck here?" She asked the stranger.

"Long enough. Do you mind?" Sokka replied while continuing his pointless writhing for freedom, asking for her help.

Kai shook her head, "No can do, friend. You're in there deep, let's just hope a flash flood or this little guy's mama doesn't come through." She lied, pretending she had no bending abilities under her belt, "But until one or the other happens, I'd be happy to keep you company."