𝕨𝕙𝕠'𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕒𝕝𝕡𝕙𝕒?

after a short and slightly tense journey, the sun has finally set and we eventually pull up at the raptor enclosure. as owen brings the car to a halt, me, him, and claire hop out onto the dirt floor. i see owen immediately turn to approach hoskins and i start to follow closely behind, quickly closing the car door on my way, leaving zach and gray alone for a minute. as owen gets to hoskins he throws a heavy swing at his face and hits him right in the jaw. i can faintly hear zach and gray let out "awh" in the background.
"get the hell out of here and stay away from our animals" i can see he is fuming.

"Hoskins, you wanted this to happen, you son of a bitch." i have to say that's language that i would never have thought i would hear coming out of claire. "these animals are living creatures and you cannot use them as your weapons" i say to him sternly without any shakes in my voice. "oh jesus. how many more people have to die before this mission starts to make sense to you?" he looks directly at me yet i do not answer his rhetorical question. barry interrupts stating that "it's not a mission. it's a field test."
"this is an InGen situation now" which, from what i remember, is referring to international genetic technologies, basically the mixing of animals. he continues "okay, there are gonna be cruise ships that show up here at first light. everybody's gonna get off this island. you're gonna watch a news story tomorrow about how you all saved lives. no no, better yet, how your animals saved lives." as soon as he was finished with his stupid little speech he turned around and started yelling at everyone to move out, not allowing me to retaliate.

he turns and stands face to face with me (a little bit embarrassingly he has to lean down to reach my height) "this is happening. with or without you." i realise that it's only two of us against a whole company and a swat team. as much as i disagree with what they are doing, they are still my animals so i have to help. i shoot owen a glance that says 'we dont stand a chance. we have to join.' which he seems to understand pretty easily. "okay gather your men and meet me at the table in exactly 2 minutes, we need to be quick" he says.

i take this as an opportunity to head to my locker and grab a jacket before we get going again. i've been wearing this stupid tank top and shorts for like two days so i'm absolutely freezing. i have two in my locker, a yellow raincoat that they had in the first version of jurassic world (jurassic park) which mum got for me just before i left, and an old black denim jacket that owen gave to me from when he was my age. i decide that something darker would be more appropriate for the situation so i grab the denim jacket.

as i reach for it i feel a pair of arms snake around my waist, which makes me jump at first and quickly turn around. i come face to face with zach which instantly makes me feel more comfortable. "you scared me, i thought you might be one of the troops or something, you're lucky i didn't hit you" i say while letting out a small giggle. "well it's only me, i didn't mean to scare you, i just wanted to talk for a second." he says while slowly letting go of me. i slip my jacket on and listen to him speak. "are you sure you're going to be okay? i know you're fully capable and everything but that thing was insane y/n. i mean what if it gets you?" i can hear the concern in his voice and it seems like he needs reassuring more than me. "i trust my raptors, i've been working with them for a long time and we've built a bond. i can handle myself, i'll be okay." i notice him looking at the floor so i gently place my hand on his jaw and turn his head so he's looking me in the eye. "i promise" but before he gets to say anything back to me i hear owen calling my name so i give him a quick peck on the cheek and quickly jog off.

i get to the table and stand next to owen, he starts explaining what's going to happen "we know that she is in sector five. this is a game that we call hide and seek. it's a scent drill. we've done it about about a thousand times with these animals. when they get on target
"and they will get on target" i quickly add.
"then you wait to engage" he finishes.
"velociraptors are pack hunters. they like to heard the animal into a kill zone before they strike" i tell them.
"that is when we take our shot. get a clear shot, wait on my command and give her everything you got." once he clears that up i make sure to let them know that "we've got one good target gentlemen. do not shoot our raptors...please."

after the directions are given we all head over to where we are supposed to be, meaning me and owen go to the raptor cage. all four of them are lined up in their holding cages with their heads out the front. owen is stood trying to calm down blue, while i'm trying to calm down delta. i rest my hand on the top of her head while i check that the camera is secure, once her breathing has slowed down a bit i move over to echo. she is even more worked up than the rest. she sees hoskins in the corner of the cage and starts to try and move her head around "shh shh hey it's okay" i know she can't understand me but i try and use a soft tone of voice, hoping she can pick up on that. i check her camera as well then walk over to the two boys at the gate.

"you're really good with them" gray tells me, he seems quite amazed by what we're doing. "yeah i try my best" i reply. "hey, owen" he calls my brother over. "are they safe?"he asks
"no they're not" owen tells them.
"they're still predators, even within confinement" i say.
zach asks what their names are and owen goes along the line telling them. "well, we have charlie, there's echo, here is delta, and this one here is called blue. she's the beta."
"who's the alpha?" gray asks
"you're looking at 'em kid" owen says while pulling me in for a side hug.

he lets go and walks back over to the raptors. i go out the side gate and walk to the back of a truck with claire and the boys. "see? totally safe." claire says it like she's trying to convince herself. "are you really going to leave them in there?" i ask because it doesn't look like the safest place. "well where else am i supposed to leave them?" she does have a point. she ushers the boys in and gray sits down on some sort of box. "go on zach, you too" she says, but he turns and asks her if we can have a second. she obliges and we go round the side of the truck for a second. "are you sure you're going to be okay out there?" he sounds genuinely concerned and that starts to make me a little nervous but i don't want to show him that. "of course i will, i won't let anything bad happen." he gives a quick nod. only then do i realise how close we are, we stare into one another's eyes for a small moment before starting to lean in. "ZACH COME ON LETS GO!" claire interrupts from around the corner and we quickly pull away from each other. she pokes her head around and we're far away enough for it not to look too suspicious. zach promptly walks away and i follow behind. he turns and we share a quick hug before he gets in, being a bit awkward in front of claire.

i walk away and leave them to sort themselves out while i talk to owen. "what am i supposed to do, sure i can control the animals but i don't have a gun or a motorcycle." it's true, i don't know what he thinks i'm gonna do. "well i showed you how to use a gun a couple of weeks ago right?" he asks me "well yeah but i'm not sure how much i remember" i tell him "just keep in mind the basics. load, aim and shoot, if you're confident enough i'll let you use it just this once. you have good aim and i trust you to use it right." it takes me a moment to think about it but i agree. "and what about the bike?" i remind him. "fine, there should be a spare dirt bike in the back of that truck over there" he tells me. luckily i've driven one quite a few times and i'm fairly good at it. so grab the second gun from his locker and the bike from the truck and set them against the side of the cage.

owen is given the tracker that it had apparently ripped out of its own back so the raptors could sniff the blood and hopefully hunt it down. he walks up the line of raptors, giving each of them time to smell the sample. they rattle in their cages at the smell of the flesh. once he introduces the smell to each of the animals we get on our bikes and get ready to set off. owen is on his motorcycle, barry is on his quad bike and i'm on my dirt bike. we have a line of trucks behind us, filled with troops and armed with as many guns as they can carry. i have mine on a strap over my shoulder and a holster of bullets across my chest. we rev our engines, ready for the raptors to be set loose. owen looks back at me and i give him a nod, he turns to the 'new guy' and holds a thumbs up. the guy pauses then turns and presses the button, sounding a buzzer and releasing the raptors.

a/n: i'm really sorry, i'm english and i honestly have no idea how guns work so i totally winged it. hoped you enjoyed the chapter :)

word count : 1806