【11: The Secrets We Keep】

⫸ Metanoia: The Death Cure ⫷

「 Chapter 10: The Secrets We Keep」

Lia was in her mother's lab once again. She was a little now, around twelve. The blonde woman was carefully placing a drop of blood onto a glass petri dish that had one of the crank DNA. It was clear from the little girl's bandaged wrist that the blood was hers. 

She could only watch as Lillian examined the reaction of the flare with her blood. The blue-eyed girl tilted her head in confusion when her mother's face scrunched in either pain or anger. Her mouth opened to speak but no words were coming out of her mouth. Her voice was muffled, mixing with the sound of sirens Lia had heard in the city. 

Everything was mixing together again. Blurring together into a mess of confusion. 

Her memory shifts her to a later time, still in her mother's lab. 

"You did so well today, Lia." Lia's mother said, her voice spoke in such a gentle manner. It contrasted the fear plastered over her features as the young blonde girl watched her mother going from one part of the room to another. 

Doctor Lillian was hiding something. Something she didn't want anyone to see. She sauntered over to her daughter, holding her shoulders tight with a look of seriousness, "Don't tell anyone what happened, okay?"

"Can I tell Thomas?"

"No, sweetie." Her mother shook her head, "You can't tell Thomas, or Teresa, or anyone." 

Lia's head looked up at the blonde woman, with a soft voice she uttered, "Not even Doctor Paige?"

"Especially Doctor Paige," Lillian emphasized, looking over her shoulder at the door. Almost as if she was waiting for someone to barge in. 

"You're scaring me, mom." Lia felt herself shake in fear as she watched mother grab a syringe, clumsily filling it up with some sort of liquid. Lillian breathed a sigh of relief, turning to her daughter with a faint smile. 

"I'm so sorry, Lia." 

"Why do you call me Lia? You said you'd stop when it's just the two of us." Folding her arms, Lia huffed. Clearly annoyed by the name change she was forced to use, "My name is Catherine, mommy."

"I'm sorry, dear." Her mother knelt down to her level. This particular scene is familiar. That feeling of warmth she felt as she was pulled into Lillian's embrace was both calming and terrifying at the same time.