CHAPTER 23: This Band Is Back

REGGIE AND I untangle ourselves and scoot away from each other the moment that Julie leaves. I sheepishly unfasten my ponytail to cover my flushed face and neck. I teleport inside of the studio because I'm too lazy to open the doors and walk in.

Also, I don't want the boys to see my reaction.

"Julie can really shred on the piano," Reggie comments.

"And sing! That girl can sing!" Luke exclaims excitedly as he points outside.

"And she hadn't done that in over a year because of her mom's passing," Alex says. "Must've been hard. Anyway, I really feel for her."

He skips over to the ladder leading up to the overhead loft.

"Yeah, but now she's got music back in her life, just like us," Luke says.

I wince at his wording.

"Yeah, I'm not really sure you can call what we have a life," Alex says, his voice going up high. He leans over the ledge to look down at us.

Reggie catches my eye and we both nod in agreement.

"Hey! Some of the clothes we left behind are still up here!" Alex calls excitedly. A half-second later he tosses down their clothing.

"I also did keep some of your stuff," I remind. "I can go get it if you like."

"Sweet!" Luke says, stripping out of his Rush muscle tee. "And yeah, Ash, that would be great!"

I poof out of the room and snatch some of Reggie's things. I bring it back to the studio and set it next to him. Then I get some of Luke's stuff, then Alex's.

"Luke, your parents have most of your things," I tell him. "They didn't want to give it away."

He nods, then digs into the bags. "Ah, same clothes since '95 boys."

As I watch Luke, I realize that Reggie's eyes are narrowing at me. I avert my gaze from Luke's chest, blushing. I don't know why it upset Reggie, but the teasing is not worth it. Ray Molina, Julie's dad slips into the studio behind Reggie. He walks through the ghost, then looks around with his camera in his hands. Reggie puts a hand to his stomach and groans.

"I know it's a weird feeling," I say to him, "but you'll get used to it."

"That was weird!" he agrees. "But somehow I can tell that this man has a kind heart."

"So, how've ya been?" Ray asks.

Reggie looks around so see if there is anyone else, then answers. "Honestly, not that good. See we ate these hotdogs, and---"

"Julie sang for the first time this morning," Ray says seriously. "Ah! She hadn't done that in almost a year. You would've loved it."

"Yeah, we saw, 'cause we were...ohhh!" Reggie realizes. "Oh, I get it. He's...he's not talking to us."

"You are so lucky you can play bass," Luke says.

Normally I would have slapped him for treating Reggie like he's dumb, but here it is appropriate.

"Pretty sure he's talking to Julie's mom," Alex tells Reggie while swinging his legs. He's sitting in the loft with his limbs hanging down from the bars.

"Yeah," I agree, wrapping a hand around Reggie's shoulders and pulling him away.

"She's such an amazing young woman," Ray comments while looking at a picture. "Every day she reminds me more and more of you."

"Called it!" Alex says.

"Oh, uh I..." Ray stammers as he picks up his camera again. "I'm taking pictures for the real estate website. I don't really wanna move, but...I guess it's best for Julie."