CHAPTER 26: Wow

ON THE DAY of the performance, Luke, Reggie, Alex and I wait impatiently in the high school gym. I would be lying if I said a small part of me didn't miss it. Even if my circle of friends was limited to four guys, I was never allowed to grow up. That can be seen as a blessing or a curse.

Carrie Wilson is on the floor, earning loud screams from her fans at the pep rally. She's decked in pink from head to toe with four back up dancers in purple, orange, yellow, and blue.

Former green girl sulks at the bottom of the bleachers, still walking with an orthopedic boot.

What can I say?

I didn't mean for her to end up as collateral damage in my prank. It's not my fault that Carrie is ravenous for the spotlight.

"That's Bobby's daughter?" Alex asks in surprise. "Wow."

Ironically, the song she is singing seems to be titled "Wow."

As usual, the choreography and attitude are both on point.

"Why do they look like starbursts?" Reggie asks.

"Carrie likes attention," I explain. "This is how she gets it. She performs at all of her school's events, including pep rallies and games. Flourescent colors makes it hard to avoid them."

We observe as she sings another part of the chorus and dances with her "friends."

"You have to admit," Alex says, "Carrie definitely has attitude. Look at her whip her hair!"

He sways to the side a little and shakes his mane. I shake with laughter.

"Where is Julie?" Luke complains. "This is taking forever."

As if on cue, I hear Flynn's voice.

"There they are!" I say, pointing. "The girl with her is Flynn. They've been best friends since elementary school."

"Look who spent all her daddy's money on costumes and Katy Perry's choreographer," Flynn says with disgust, crossing her arms.

I wince. Guilt settles in on me. I know how Bobby got that money. Desperate to distract the boys so they wouldn't hear Flynn, I scream.

Alex jumps next to me. "What? What is it?"

"I thought I saw a cockroach," I lie dramatically, placing a hand over my chest. "Be on the lookout boys. Nowhere is safe."

Luke rolls his eyes. "You're such a wimp. It can't touch you."

"Having a roach run through you is almost worse. You have fears too." I scoff. "Need I remind you off our fifth grade field trip to the zoo?"

Luke shudders. "That snake was stalking me like prey and you know it."

"It was behind glass!" I say.

Carrie and her dancers are so in sync it's like they share the same brain cell. I glance over at Julie and can tell that she is feeling intimidated. The crowd loves Dirty Candy regardless of her snobby attitude. It will be hard to lead after a performance like this, but I know Julie's got this.