made for me | john b x reader

warnings: body image insecurities, fat shaming joke, eating disorder, bit nsfw at the end (no smut)

a/n: i'm trying out a new format of writing so tell me if you hate it or not lol. also i would like to say that while this deals with weight insecurities and eating disorders, the reader's body type isn't explicitly stated as thin or plus-sized because women (and men and non-binary people) of all shapes and sizes suffer from body image issues and eating disorders. anyways, carry on!

you knew boys could be assholes

you knew boys could be assholes. you had two older brothers, how could you not know? you were intensely aware that they could especially be assholes when they loved you; it was their way of showing affection to their friends. make mean jokes that could be seen as insults were it not for your close bond. you knew all about it. but sometimes you weren't sure if you were at that point with the pogues yet.

you'd been friends with kie for almost a year after you almost broke rafe cameron's nose for saying something shitty to her, and you'd been dating john b for going on a month. before that, you only really saw kie's boys every so often when she brought them to your family's restaurant for a treat. now that you were involved with john b, you were spending much more time with the pogues and bonding with the other two boys. there were just moments when you weren't sure if they made a joke because they were accepting you or if they were making it so you would get the hint that they didn't like you. especially when those jokes had to do with your weight.

some nights after a long day in the marsh or at the beach, the pogues wanted to have an actual home cooked meal, not just sandwiches scraped together from what unexpired food they could find in the cabinets at the chateau, and on those nights, you would bring them to your family's restaurant and help your dad or brothers whip up some dinner for everyone. then you all would sit down together and stuff your bellies with your dad's delicious recipes.

one such night, john b had disappeared to use the bathroom, and you and kie were laughing about something stupid as you shoved fries into each other's mouths. pope spat out his soda at whatever jj had just said. it was nice. until it wasn't.

"whoa, y/n," jj snickered, "don't you think you should slow down there? that shit will go straight to your thighs."

you struggled to keep your smile on your face as your stomach dropped. kie reached over the table and landed a hard smack on the back of jj's head.

"jj, what the fuck? don't be such an asshole," she snapped before slipping her hand into yours and giving it a comforting squeeze.

"ow, shit, kie! i was just joking!" jj rubbed the back of his head and glared over at her. "hey, y/n, you know i was just kidding, right?"

you nodded your head, and honestly you did know that he was just joking. that he didn't mean it seriously. but while the boys didn't completely comprehend the implications of the harmless joke, kie did. she knew the insecurities swirling in your head at that moment. during one of the many sleepovers you two had shared, a few drinks mixed with the late hour had caused the both of you to let slip some of your biggest fears and insecurities. this happened to be one of yours.