birthday surprise | john b x reader

"Does everyone understand their missions?"

You, Kie, and Pope all nodded in response to JJ's question as the four of you huddled together in the van. JJ was taking his job as mission leader very seriously, and had surprised everyone by printing out agendas from the computers at his job at the Country Club. You all had snuck out and met up in front of the Chateau earlier in the morning to brainstorm, and every minute of it you were afraid John B would wake up and catch on to what y'all were planning.

"y/n," JJ whispered, catching your attention again from where it had been drifting. "Stick to the agenda, okay? We're on a tight schedule which means no macking unless I specifically wrote it in, got it?"

You stifled a laugh and saluted him, your game face unwavering. Today was important, and you couldn't afford to fuck things up. You all had a job to do.

"We'll be waiting here for your signal," Pope said as he gave you an encouraging pat on the back. "You've got this."

You and Kie clasped arms for a second, communicating good luck with your eyes, before you stood up and quietly rolled the door open. You offered the other three one last salute and set off towards John B's porch. You carefully hopped around on the creaky ass wood, having done this enough times during your late night rendezvouses with John B when JJ had been passed out on the couch and you had to sneak past him. Finally you slipped through the screen door and you were inside. You gave yourself a quick victory fist bump before getting back to business and tip-toeing to John B's room. As you opened the door, you felt your gaze soften at the sight of your boyfriend's sleeping form. He looked so cute and peaceful, so you felt a little bad about what you were about to do.

A yell left John B's throat when you leapt onto him and screamed, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

There were a couple seconds when he flailed around thinking he was being attacked, but he quickly calmed down when he realized it was just you peppering his face with kisses.

"What the hell was that?" he asked as he wrapped his arms around you to prevent you from pulling back.

"A birthday surprise, duh."

"Hell of a surprise, sweetheart. I thought someone was trying to murder me."

"Nope, just my cute ass!"

He grinned at you and gently smacked your ass, causing you to roll your eyes. "I love your cute ass."

Your eyes fluttered shut as he dragged you down into a kiss, the sweet, lazy sort you loved to receive when the two of you had just woken up. Had it been any other time, you would not have hesitated to deepen it and spend the next hour in bed with him, but you forced yourself to remember you were on a mission. John B let out a cute whine when you managed to pull away and slip out of his arms.

"Why'd you stop? It's my birthday," he whined, crossing his arms and giving you a little pout. "Don't I get a birthday present?"

"Oh, sweetpea, you get to spend the whole day with me. We've got plenty of time for your present later," you promised with a wink. "As for right now, we gotta get you ready for brunch!"