the dock (l+f) | john b x reader

while you and your brothers were frantically searching for your cousin, john b was rearranging some things in the boat at the dock

while you and your brothers were frantically searching for your cousin, john b was rearranging some things in the boat at the dock. he and the other pogues had driven to the country club to drop jj off at work and had just decided to stay for a bit. kie and pope were off doing some other thing. kie was probably walking along the beach while pope was using the club's high speed internet. john b was content to mess around with the boat and maybe go fishing for a bit before he needed to return to drive everyone home. he was bent down to check on some new scuff mark when he heard humming a little farther down the dock. suddenly the humming stopped with a gasp, and then little feet were pounding on the wood planks towards his boat.

"mister!" a small voice called from somewhere above him. "um, excuse me, mister?"

john b stopped what he was doing and looked up to see a cute kid standing at the edge of the dock. he had curly brown hair and dimples that were on full display as he grinned at the older boy. john b blinked and looked around for anyone to whom this kid belonged.

"uh, hey, little man," john b greeted with a hesitant smile. he knelt down to be on eye-level with the boy. "what can i do for you?"

he didn't think it was possible, but the little boy smiled even wider, and if he was being honest, john b could feel his heart melt a little.

"is this your boat?" the boy asked.

"yeah, she's mine."

the boy's eyes lit up, and a giggle bubbled up from his stomach. "it looks just like my grandpa's boat!"

this surprised john b. the boy looked the part of a baby kook: nice clothes, clean face, and obviously came from the country club up the hill. yet here he was, talking to john b with the biggest, sweetest grin on his face, and he was saying that his grandpa's boat was like the hms pogue.

"your grandpa's boat is like this?"

"just like it! he takes me fishing on it when i visit him! when he doesn't have work." the boy looked down and frowned. "he works a lot. he doesn't have a lot of time to take me fishing."

"what's your name, little man?"

"i'm j-"

"jaime!"

both boys looked up the hill in surprise when they heard your frantic shout. jaime smiled and waved when he saw you running down the dock toward john b's rickety boat. the breath caught in your throat when you saw exactly who your baby cousin was talking to. shit. john b, on the other hand, was just as surprised to see you. the kid had been talking about his grandpa as if he was a pogue, and yet he seemed to belong to you. it just didn't make sense.

"y/n!" jaime called happily, grabbing your hand and pointing to john b's boat. "doesn't it look like grandpa's? the one we go fishing on?"

"yeah it does," you agreed, your eyes locked on john b's. "was he bothering you?"