can't help falling in love | pope x f!reader 60s au

warning: angst with no happy ending

the summer garden party. the biggest event of the summer on kildare island, and one that only those from figure eight were invited to. neither one of your brothers, or you for that matter, really enjoyed going, mostly because your family didn't really fit in with the rest of the second homers, but your grandparents had been invited, and your father's diner was a favorite for even the kooks, so you were forced to attend every year.

your grandmother always picked out a lovely dress she had probably seen on the first lady or grace kelly, and your brothers were shoved into slacks and sports coats, your mother forcing them to sit still as she slicked their hair back as if they were some big hollywood actors. you wished your friends- well they weren't really your friends anymore were they.

earlier in the summer, you were forced to part from the pogues after your diner had been trashed and pope... the boy you loved was jumped because of your association with the lower class group. you knew on some level they understood, or at least john b did when you told him tearfully when he had come to check up on you, but you were still afraid that they hated you. did they think you betrayed them by choosing the kooks over them? it wasn't much of a choice for you. your family's safety had been put at risk, and while you adored your friends, you loved them too much to see them hurt again. you couldn't be the reason pope was attacked or worse.

so you played the perfect kook. you dressed in tasteful dresses and pants inspired by audrey hepburn, attended summer tea parties, and went to the movies in the camerons' pretty blue thunderbird. and then at night you sent upstairs, wiped away all the makeup you had caked on, let your hair down, and cried yourself to sleep.

"lovelies, are you ready?" your grandmother asked, poking her head into the bathroom where you were just finishing up with your makeup and your mother had finished twisting the last strands of hair into the updo you had decided on.

"yes, mother, we just need to put the finishing touch," your mother answered.

you closed your eyes and tried to breathe when your mother uncapped the hairspray can and started spraying the elaborate hairstyle she had spent an hour doing. even so, you coughed as you waved the sticky mist from your face and edged to the bathroom door to escape the fumes.

"not so fast, young lady," your mother called, smiling when your grandmother stopped you from leaving. "you're forgetting the most important part!"

you managed to suppress the urge to roll your eyes when you saw the pearl necklace in your mother's hands. it was a precious family heirloom, passed down from your grandmother to your mother and now to you, but as much as you loved your family, you still hated the feeling of going full kook. you had betrayed your friends, and for what? to wear fancy clothes at fancy parties and laugh at rude boys who wanted nothing more than to taint you?

still, you allowed your mother to place the necklace on you and clasp it at the back of your neck. the pears were cool on your collarbone, and you had to admit that you looked quite nice, but you didn't look like you, not really. how you longed to lounge about in your bikini, keds, and one of pope's hawaiin shirts. you were your father's daughter, a wild child who belonged to the waves, whether that be the florida coast or the outer banks.