we've always been real | jj x reader* ✨

sequel (well prequel) to last chapter

warnings: smut (my first attempt so i apologize in advance) and just rafe being gross and kinda emotionally manipulative

a/n: from here on out i will be marking any fic set in the same universe as this and "you against the world" with this emoji

a/n: from here on out i will be marking any fic set in the same universe as this and "you against the world" with this emoji ✨

You looked down at your hands and twisted your fingers in your skirt as you tried to listen to what your boyfriend was saying. It was just the two of you in his bedroom as the rest of his family was out at some even that he'd gotten out of somehow, and that should've clued you into what he wanted to do, but it was your first relationship. You'd never really hung out with the people from the Figure 8 much anyways other than Kie, so everything was new to you.

It was a surprise when Rafe Cameron, son of the richest man in the Outer Banks, showed an interest in you, but as you had been made painfully aware, you were lucky. Your family barely qualified to be "Kooks" even if everyone loved your dad's brunch, and so dating Rafe elevated your status. Now your family's restaurant was always crowded, and many Kook families were interested in hiring him to cater all the parties that would inevitably be thrown in the summer. Your relationship with Rafe was helping your family, and he got a pretty, gentle girl on his arm in the meantime. The whole thing was purely transactional, and of course now after dating for a month he was ready to cash in for more.

"Do you even have a clue as to how lucky you are right now?" he snapped, causing you to jump ever so slightly. "Your dad's restaurant is doing so well now. We've got a good thing going, don't we?" He looked at you expectantly. "Don't we?"

You nodded and chewed the inside of your cheek to keep you from yelling at him or crying. You were lucky. You knew that. All of this was fake so why was this so important to you?

"We've been dating for a month," he continued. "Don't you think it's time we moved things to the next level?"

There it was. You'd managed to hold him off for two weeks now whenever his hand started to slide up your skirt or his lips wandered lower than your collarbone, but he was impatient now. He couldn't wait any longer, and you knew you wouldn't be able to stall him for much longer. He wanted sex, and he wanted it soon. The only problem was you were a virgin.

Everything else in this performance of a relationship wasn't a big deal to you. It wasn't as if he was your first kiss or your first makeout session. Those two belonged to someone you cared about, one of the two people you inherently trusted with your body. That's why you didn't really care about kissing him or letting him get a little hot and heavy when his dad was away. But this... this was the one thing you couldn't allow to be fake. Everything in your life right now seemed to be simple transactions, and you wouldn't let this be one of those.

"Rafe," you started in a quiet voice, having learned the hard way what happened when he perceived you as getting confrontational with him, "I know I'm incredibly lucky to be in a relationship with you, and I do think we're ready to..." a shiver ran down your spine, "to take things to the next level."