20: Sister Mary Gets a Bizarre Phone Call

"My word," said Martha as she pushed back the curtains to stare at the commotion happening down the street, "what on earth is going on?"

"I see an ambulance along with a fire truck and three police cars," said Norma squeezing her thin head over Martha's shoulder. "And they are right down the road. Hey, Gina, doesn't Ms. Summers live down that way?"

"That she does," responded Gina while leaning forward in her wheelchair. "About three homes down if I am not mistaken."

"Sister Mary, would like a ride back to--" Martha turned around to where I was seated but instead found only an empty chair with a steaming cup of tea on the side table. "My goodness, where did she go?"

The question to Martha's question was answered by the slamming of the front door followed by the sight of a pudgy nun heavily breathing down the road toting a book underneath her arm. I was off quicker than a frightened cat, but instead of running away from danger, I was headed right into the bowels of a twisted deception that would later shake me to my core.

The street was a glow with flashing lights and the sounds of men and women talking in heated voices. I noticed a young Latino man seated by the gates, crying. He was being interrogated by two police officers.

"I didn't kill her," said the young man. "I did not kill her."

Using my skills as a nun, I pressed my hands together in silent prayer and approached the gate. My way was blocked by the stiff open palm of a third police officer.

"I am sorry, Sister," he said, "but I can't let you enter."

"I am here to deliver the last rights to the deceased," I lied.

The police officer turned to a colleague nearby. "Can she do that?"

"Of course she can't," said an all too familiar voice. Dorsey appeared behind me. "Only priests can deliver a person's last rights, and only while they still live."

"Oh, Mr. Dorsey," I said acting surprised. "What a pleasure to see you twice in one day."

"I wouldn't necessarily call it a pleasure," he gawked. "I was just looking for you at the festival to thank you, when someone told me they saw you leave over an hour ago. Then I got the radio message that someone had been murdered here, and like clockwork I find you at the scene stepping on my toes."

"As you see, Dorsey, I stand on the sidewalk like a simple bystander. If I was beyond that gate then I would be stepping on your toes."

"I'm not here to argue with technicalities, Sister Mary. Now step aside and let me do my job."

"Of course, Investigator." I bowed and moved aside.

Sergeant Leblanc appeared from around the side of the house. He noticed Dorsey and I and hastily approached.

"I'm not gonna even ask how you managed to be here, Sister Mary," said Leblanc. He glanced between Dorsey and I. "Are you two working together?"

"No!" we both shouted together.

"Well then." Leblanc straightened his uniform. "Then come in, Dorsey." He looked at me. "Sister Mary, please go home."

With that the two men vanished around the corner. While I had no jurisdiction to be at the crime scene, I had my ways of getting exactly what I wanted. Call it godly intuition or some devilish gift, but I always had a second plan if the obvious method failed. I quietly sauntered away as more people appeared on the sidewalk to observe the drama. Knowing how close the homes were to one another gave me a genius idea. So with a lucky tug on the neighbor's wooden gate, I entered their yard and slipped into the side yard.