15: Sister Mary Concocts a Plan

Greatness is often overlooked for those whose position in life fairs little to their position in the eyes of admirers. I had almost everything I needed to solve this case, and in the classic humor of the universe, my greatness was overshadowed by my position as a nun. Here I stood on the cusp of a solution and yet standing there in opposition were a lead investigator, a dedicated sergeant, and a powerful elderly socialite. To them I was a nuisance, a distraction, and quite frankly a person in no position to be listening in on a murder investigation.

"Have you been spying on our interrogations this whole time?" sternly asked Dorsey.

"If I said no, I would be lying."

The man stomped his foot.

"I have all the right to arrest you right now! How dare you, Sister Mary. How dare you. I even warned you."

Leblanc was quick jump between Dorsey and I.

"Hold up," he calmly said. Leblanc pressed one hand on Dorsey's inflated chest. "Clearly Sister Mary is in the wrong here, but I believe a greater punishment for her intrusion should be dealt with by her superior."

"She has listened in on a murder investigation," said Dorsey, his eyes glaring at Leblanc. "The woman should be arrested regardless of who she is or who she pretends to be."

"Pretending?" I grabbed my pearls or crucifix as it were. "I am a daughter of God, good sir, who just happens to have found herself stuck in an armoire during this tumultuous time. Besides, Mr. Dorsey, in my struggle to free myself from that wooden prison, I have developed a solid understanding of this case. Your problem is not on what happened and why, but more so on when it all happened. Timing is the key to solving this murder."

"And here she goes again sticking her nose into places where she is not warranted," cried Dorsey. He turned to Leblanc and swished his arm in the air. "I want her and her other nunley coheart removed from this property immediately. I am done with nuns. Done!"

"Come with me, Sister Mary," said Leblanc grabbing my hand.

"Wait!" I cried. "You need me. I haven't told you my nightly experience. I can help."

"You've done enough," said Leblanc. "And believe me, this is your last chance to walk away with my help. Take it or leave it."

"But," I complained.

"He can arrest you," whispered Leblanc. "I know you want to help, but this time, you have to let it go."

I sighed. Leblanc was right. I had already dug myself enough of a troublesome hole for one night.

"Fine," I said, dropping DT's metal tip on the floor. "But don't come crying to me when you need insight. Sister Mary out!"

I began to walk to the exit while holding my chin high. As I passed by Gina, the old woman offered me a callous look and an equally disapproving crinkling of her lips.

"Should have left when I told you to," said Gina with a chuckle.

With the pent up frustration filling my soul, it took all the power in me from reaching out and slapping the old woman clear across the face. I imagined the force of my slap would fling her from her wheelchair and send her limp body carrening over the sofa and crashing through the nearest window. Thankfully such an image was enough to bring a smile to my face and calm my nerves.

"God bless you," I said in response, and as I turned away to the door I also added, "not that you deserve it."

In the hall I was greeted by a much sober and quite frantic Sophia. She bounced down the hall, nabbing me before I could properly prepare for her wild embrace.