25: Sister Mary Reveals All

The sirens of an ambulance echoed down the street. The midday sun was climbing to its peak in the sky heating the cool morning air. A crowd of curious onlookers had gathered outside the Wickman estate; all clamoring to see what other drama had unfolded in this once quiet neighborhood. I stood at the foot of the stairs as police and medics rushed up and down. Jenny had stopped her screaming and had been placed on a stretcher. Tears clung to her red swollen cheeks as her chest heaved deep breaths. Bandages wrapped her injured wrists and the remnants of her abuse lay cut and abandoned on the floor. Whatever horror had fallen the poor dear could not be extracted from her lips. Yet in the folds of my robe rested a metal box filled to the brim with letters of truth.

I exited the foyer and came to sit at a quiet spot in the living room. I poured through the letters and documents. The more I read the more my heart fought back pain. In a few minutes I had finished my acute investigation. The truth was clear. I knew who the killer was and why all this happened. There were only two things left to do to get the insurmountable evidence I needed to put this killer away forever, set a trap and await a final delivery of a certain photographer. I walked to the phone and made the call.

"Hello, Mr. Dorian," I said into the receiver. "This is Sister Mary. Yes. Again thank you." I paused. "Please tell me you developed those photographs I asked for? Oh, good. Now get here right away. Nathan needs your help. Otherwise, I fear he will be arrested for murder." Dorian's voice rang in anger. "Calm down. I have everything under control. You just bring those photos and all will be well."

I hung up the phone and sighed. Suddenly Sergeant Leblanc entered the room.

"There you are," he said nervously. "Everyone is looking for you."

"I had to make a phone call."

"Please tell me you know what is going on? Dorsey is at a loss, and the press is here questioning him. People are outside whispering. This is bad, Sister. Real bad."

"You all need to calm your tits," I said while holding my umbrella's handle firm in my hands. "And listen to me."

"You're in charge," said Leblanc. "What do we do? Do we make the arrest?"

"Firstly, I'd rather stay out of the limelight this time. Secondly, I need all those involved in this room immediately including Jenny."

"The girl is hurt. She needs to go to the hospital."

"Her injuries are not life threatening, but her being a part of this is essential. Do you understand?"

"Fully," said Leblanc.

"And lastly, have someone put on some tea."

Leblanc left the room. I waddled to the window and peeked through the lace curtains. The crowd was growing. Two separate reporters hung outside the police barricade interviewing folks. Nathan stood by with two police officers by his side. His chin rested on his chest, defeated and alone.

"The time has come, Mr. DT," I said to my umbrella, "to reveal everything. I hope you are ready for a twist to this incredible story."

...

One after the other arrived into the room. First was Senator Wickman. He came to sit on the sofa. Dorsey entered immediately after. Next arrived Gina in her wheelchair, then Nathan and Jenny. The poor girl sat furthest away in a corner chair. Her legs bounced with frightful anticipation. A few minutes went by in that silent room when Regina, Senator Wickman's secretary, strutted inside. She had just arrived to work not knowing anything that had transpired in the last hour. I could not imagine the shock she was experiencing from all the press and police surrounding the estate.