Chapter 2: Happy Together

Laying down on the bed watching as the rain hit the skylight Josie could almost feel the cold of the summer night. Every few seconds or so the sky would light up with the rays of lightning followed by the light claps of thunder. She hated thunderstorms, since it always shook her body to the core. Like every roar of thunder broke the sky shaking the earth. But for some odd reason she loved hearing that sound. 

'A faint sound of thunder' Josie whispered as she reached her arm up as if trying to touch the sky with her finger tips.

"Do you think it was a good idea... to forgive Park just like that?" Hope came out of the bathroom drying her hair with a towel. The soft foot steps echoed through the room. It was almost as someone was playing a bass drum. It had a nice rhythm to it. Josie slightly turned to Hope dropping her arm to her chest.

"It's okay. We're human, after all. We all have our quirks. Whether or not she keeps her word and not bother us. Well that's her prerogative, there's nothing we can do." Josie said softly not trying to upset Hope in anyway. "You gave her a warning."

Not that, that was possible. Hope could never stay mad at Josie. She always gave in after only a few minutes. But this time Hope didn't seem like she was angry or upset. If anything she seemed calm. A little too calm for Josie's liking.

"Is everything okay?" Josie slowly sat up on her bed. Hope continued to dry her hair almost avoiding eye contact with her wife. "Hey talk to me." Josie asked almost pleadingly. Hope took the towel off her head and turned to Josie.

"Everything is fine. Do I like that Penelope is out of jail, no. Can I do anything about it? No. Why worry about the things I can't change. Aslong as she keeps her distance from me and my family we won't have a problem" Hope shrugged her shoulders walking back to the bathroom to put away her towel. Josie ran her fingers through her hair before laying back down. 

"Everything will be--"

"Please don't say fine." Hope mumbled. "Or that it'll be okay"

...∞...∞...∞...∞...∞...

Hope let out a quiet yawn, her eyes barely able to stay open. She promised herself she would work for an hour, 2 tops, but that was farther from the truth. The stacks of folders didn't seem to be getting any smaller, and even her blue pen was running dry. 

"Can I at least have one applicant that doesn't have social science degree." Hope led out a soft sigh, stamping the rejection stamp onto the applicants paper. She tossed it with the rest and grabbed another. "Last one, then i'm going to bed." She declared.

3:45 am

Hope took a deep breath finally finished with her work. She stitched her arms high in the air, before making her way out of her office and walked into her daughter's room. Sure enough Aj and Haylee were peacefully sleeping. The nightlight casted a dim red light, yet Hope couldn't seem to find the source. Until she looked closer that's she saw Aj, snuggled up with a dinosaur lamp. Carefully she tried to take it out of her arms, before putting it back on the nightstand. She grabbed the remote and changed the color back to the soft blue the girls loved so much.

"No more bad dreams" Hope whispered tapping the dinosaur nightlight on its head. 

As she tiptoed to her youngest daughter's room, she found her cocooned in dreams, a serene smile gracing her lips. A stifled yawn escaped Hope as she made her way back to her own room. She stopped by the door frame just for a moment. The moonlight shining from the skylight gave a spot light to her slumbering wife, Josie, nestled amidst the folds of her blankets. She walked towards her slowly climbing into bed. Hope couldn't resist planting a tender kiss on her forehead. With a contented sigh, she joined her in bed, enveloping her in a loving embrace.