Chapter 10 : The Color of Love

Josie shut the office door with a soft click, her lips twitching with barely contained amusement. "Can't we go one day without fighting?"

Hope quickly looked up from her paper work. She had two choices. Either bluster her way through the rest of the conversation, or let her mortification melt her from the inside out like a campfire. "In my defense I was protecting my daughter from a psycho bitch. Obviously"

"Although I'm not condoning your actions, I can't deny I'd probably do the same thing," Josie said, her smile warm as she walked over to Hope and settled into her lap. She wrapped her arms around Hope's neck, snuggling closer and inhaling the scent of her expensive perfume. "Why do you look like you're afraid I'm going to bite you?" Josie teased, laughter dancing in her eyes.

Hope adjusted Josie pulling her leg over her, now straddling Hope. "How am I suppose to look at you?" Hope tilted Josies chin with her fingers, forcing her to meet her bright blue eyes.

"Like you can't wait to get your hands on me. Like every time our eyes meet, you can't help but think of the last time I made you scream so hard you forgot your own name" Josies breath hitched. She leaned closer, mouth brushing against hers. "Like your obsessed with me"

Before Hope could respond, Josie pulled away, denying her the kiss she was expecting. Letting out a heavy sigh, Josie readjusted herself, settling comfortably in her wife's lap. She glanced at the cluttered desk, the stacks of papers and folders, and Hope's neglected laptop. "You know, taking time to relax doesn't change the fact that you're strong, smart, and incredibly hardworking. You should be proud of yourself," Josie said, grabbing a pen from the holder and beginning to jot down notes. She nudged the laptop closer to them, determined to help Hope find some peace amidst the chaos.

"Since we've been here, I wondered why you were such an infuriating person," Hope chuckled softly, her eyes softening as she watched Josie effortlessly dive into the workload. Unable to resist, she pressed a kiss to the temple of her wife's head, lingering for a moment before her lips trailed down to Josie's neck.

"Hey, what I said just now was pretty good, right?" Josie quipped, a playful glint in her eyes as she continued to work.

"Right now, I'm running for all I'm worth, but you're so far ahead of me, and running it easily. Sometimes you turn around, running backwards calling out to me." Hope hugged Josie tightly. "I hate to be beaten so that really infuriated me. But this time, the fact that you're running ahead of me helped me. You're more focused on my well being then Anything else. Even if I'm Hope Mikaelson the multi-billionaire C.E.O you're still beating me. Just watch. Soon I'll over take you, then I'll be the one worrying about you."

Hope lowered her head, the weight of her emotions pressing heavily on her chest. A lump formed in her throat, making it difficult to swallow past the knot of fear and uncertainty. Yet, in Josie's arms, she found solace, a glimmer of hope amidst the turmoil of her thoughts.

"What are you talking about? Sometimes while you slave away at work, I'm relaxing, reading, getting pampered like a queen. You know, when I'm not helping you in the office," Josie interjected gently, tossing the folder back onto the desk before moving to sit on the edge, facing Hope.

"I feel a little... a little bit like I failed... I'm stuck here watching everybody move on with their lives while I sit back doing nothing but work. Today proved that to me. Today, I saw my daughter get into a fight without hesitation because they said something about her sister. Haylee didn't flinch when she got called names. Do you know what that's like... trying to hold everything in... being called a monster?" Hope's voice wavered,

"When was the last time you had a serious conversation with Haylee?" Josie asked softly, her expression filled with concern as she reached out to gently touch Hope's hand. "Besides this afternoon... it wasn't much of a talk though... I don't remember," Hope admitted, unable to meet Josie's gaze.