Chapter 7: We Grew A Little

The once fresh forest air began to be replaced with the sweet smell of fresh cooked smoked barbecue as they stepped onto the outdoor kitchen. After Kol and Hope made their way back with a few cases of beer and other snacks the family barbecues was finally done and the food was ready to be eaten. Josie looked around at the food that was laid out on the patio table. She wondered if they over cooked or under cooked given the Mikaelson amazing appetite.

Ever since Hope and Josie got married and had the girls they only ever ate at Michelin starred restaurant. Sometimes Josie or Hope would cook but because they were always working, dinner at a restaurant was always a thing. However Josie and Hope did take the girls to McDonald's or Some other fast food place when they were running late. And family barbecue was a Sunday tradition. 

The summer night was perfect for dinner. Everyone was eating and having a very animated conversation. Rebekah was talking about her new fashion line she was hoping to get started. Davina was serving the kids their food and Kol was finishing up a few pieces of hamburgers still on the grill. Hope saw Josie a few ways away carrying a crying Andrea in her arms.

"Everything alright?" Hope walked up to Josie worryingly motherly instincts kicking in. Josie was gently bouncing her daughter and she seemed to be slowly calming down. Her once crying outburst was now reduced to sniffling.

"Yeah everything's fine she's just tired that's all." Josie smiled looking down at her daughter. She turned to Hope extending her arms slightly gesturing to Hope to hold her. Which she gladly did. Once Andrea was safely in Hopes arms they walked to the dock.

"I kind of like the nighttime." Josie was the first to speak. "Especially in the summer. I like the air... and the smell. The sounds of leaves... and insects."

"True. It does feel nice... Can I sit here with you?" Hope nervously asked. The entire day Hope felt as though she'd been hurting her wife with her presence. Fighting back and forth about work and vacation. 

One minute they were okay and the next they were arguing, hurting each other with words. Hope didn't want to cause anymore trouble but she didn't want to leave Josie's side. 

Josie didn't say anything. She just continued to tickle her daughters chin. Andrea was quick to grab her mom's finger pulling hit close to her mouth. It was adorable how her whole hand fit around Josies index finger. She held onto it tightly as she began to fall asleep in Hopes arms. Hope not once taking her eye off her wife.

 Josie leaned her head on Hopes shoulders. Hope looked at Josie for a bit kissing her on her head before turning her attention to her sleeping daughter. It was only the second day of the vacation but it was the first time since they got there she truly spend time with her little one. It was like she forgot how small and fragile she really was, or how she looked exactly like Josie when she slept.

When was the last time I held you my little lamb. Hope said to herself not wanting Josie to hear her thoughts. Footsteps began to echo though the dock and the small vibrations could be felt. Tiny arms found themselves around hopes neck holding on to her tightly. She looked down and saw Haylee and Aj giggling while eating a popsicle. Aj squeezed herself in between her and Josie. While Haylee sat on Josies lap. None of them saying anything.

Why do I feel lonely. Once summer vacation is over I may not get to look at my family anymore. They may never say good morning to me again. I'll be stuck doing work while they go to school. I thought I was used to those things. I was so happy. That I forgot how to deal with it. How I was before I met Josie. I can't remember anymore." Hope couldn't stop herself from thinking. She wanted to fill the silence around her but couldn't which gave her mind time to wonder. She was curious as to why her daughters hadn't said anything about their day at the water park. It wasn't until Hope looked down at them and saw they were both starting to fall asleep. Hope took the lemon popsicles from Ajs hand and finished it herself.