Chapter 4: Thank You

"Okay now that you're done with time out tell me what you did wrong?" Josie had her arms crossed looking at both Rebekah and Aj who were sitting on the stair case.

"Used a no-no word" Aj enthusiastically raised her hand as she answered. No shame in what she had done earlier.

"Taught your daughter a new vocabulary" Rebekah said sheepishly.

"And what will you not do again?" Josie shook her head.

"Listen to aunt Bex" Aj laughed stomping her little feet on the lower steps of the stairs.

"Extend your daughter's vocabulary" Rebekah sighed.

"Good... now give me your lock picking kit Bex." Josie extended her hand.

"Woah! You're taking away my toys now. I said I was sorry--and I'm older than you. What is this?!" Rebekah asked confused at the age reversal that was going on. "Talk about cruel and unusual punishment."

"We just need to barrow it in order to open this box Josie and I hid the last time we went camping with dad." Hope laughed as she walked over to her aunt. Rebekah let out a sigh and reached into her pocket to pull out the small case. "But for now let's go shower and change out of these damp clothes" Hope took Josie's hand and guided her upstairs to their room. 

Josie dried her hair with her towel as she made her way towards the room window. The view that greeted her was nothing short of breathtaking.

Night had already wrapped its velvety cloak around their lake house, and the moon was casting its spell on the lake below, turning it into a shimmering dance floor for stars. The reflection of the sky in the water was playing tricks on Josie's eyes, making her question whether she was witnessing a lake or a secret portal to another dimension (it was definitely the former, but hey, a girl can dream).

Josie couldn't help but marvel at the whimsy of it all, feeling like she'd stumbled into a fairytale rather than a mere balcony view.

It was perfect. It was like something out of a postcard, if postcards came with a complimentary side of awe.

Closing her eyes, Josie surrendered to the symphony of the night. The rustle of leaves in the trees was like a gentle applause, the owls' hoots a chorus of approval, and the crickets' chirping the soundtrack to her reverie. Each sound sent a delightful shiver down Josie's spine, as if the night itself were conspiring to envelop her in its embrace.

Hope was finally out of the shower walking over to a large shelf and grabbed the bottle of 10-year old Laphroaig and poured the liquid into two glasses. Josie picked up the glass her wife handed her, gave it a sniff and winced as the alcohol fumes burning a trail through her nasal passages straight to her retinas.

Hope's laughter bubbled up like a spring of mischief, as she playfully snatched the glass back from Josie's trembling fingers. With a flourish, she tilted the glass towards her lips, taking a sip hoping to quench her thirst after the long day.

"So I'm thinking and just hear me out..." Hope turned her back onto the balcony ledge leaning against it, arms resting on the wood behind her. "Wild, monkey, make-you-scream-so-loud-the-neighbors-complain sex" Hope laughed.

Heat rushed to Josies cheeks and she nearly chocked on her own oxygen she'd just taken.

"Just say the word" Hope smirked as she placed the rim of her glass to her lips drinking the second glass of scotch. The hard glare Josie sent Hope was uncharacteristic, but effective at silencing her. Thank god because picturing wild monkey sex with Hope right at this moment was not a good idea given that her extended family and her daughters were down stairs. That kind of fantasy was strictly for when they were alone, under the covers and the stars.