CHAPTER 23 - That crucial moment

Do you know that sensation when you can't help but worry about something? To elaborate, I refer to that moment when you know something unrealistic will not happen but can't help but be concerned about it anyway

Do you know that sensation when you can't help but worry about something? To elaborate, I refer to that moment when you know something unrealistic will not happen but can't help but be concerned about it anyway. Like that reflex you can't control when they tell you not to do something but you do it regardless.

A common example being when the dentist tells you not to swallow. What's the first thing you do? Hmmm? Don't lie to yourself. Of course, it is to swallow. It's an annoying automatic response we can't seem to get rid off!

Well, that's the feeling I want to talk about in this chapter.

So don't hate me.

★ ★ ★

Saying that the atmosphere was strangely heavy after taking a bath was an understatement. After leaving the bathroom and changing into a simple shirt and shorts, you left the room with Jesse on your heels. However, the moment you did, both of you stumbled upon an unusual scene. That being, silence.

To be more precise, even though Jungkook and Taehyung were playing on the console with the game music blasting through the stereos, it felt as you have stepped inside a classroom ready to take their year-end exam.

Yoongi was taking a nap on the available couch while Namjoon and Seokjin were nowhere to be found.

Jesse and you share a look of confusion before your best friend mutters something about finding RM. After which she goes to the second floor. Leaving you alone in the living room.

Thankfully, the boys seem too occupied with the game to notice your presence. So you take advantage of their distraction and tiptoe your way to the kitchen. Where you glance back at the living room to make sure no one has noticed you before looking upfront.

You stumble upon an empty kitchen.

The lights are off so you walk towards the light switch and turn it on. As you turn around, planning on grabbing a bottle of water from the refrigerator, someone's silhouette startles you.

Narrowing your eyes, since the hallway is also dark, you recognize a familiar figure. It is no other than Jin, who seems to be returning from the backyard.

He has a dull expression on his face as he walks further into the light. Jin is so lost in his thoughts that he doesn't realize you are there until he's almost in front of you.

"Hey," you call out softly before he crashes into you.

Seokjin jumps back, gasping loudly. His hand flies to his chest, where he places it above his heart. "He-hey," he answers back, sounding out of breath. "Sorry, I, uh... I didn't see you there," he whispers, clearing his throat when his voice comes out breathy.

You smile genuinely and shake your head. "Nah, it's fine. Don't worry about it," you tell him right away to ease the sudden tension in the air. "By the way, are you okay? You look a bit...pale."