4 - I like you

The Healer's touch was the ultimate ability of a healer. It basically allowed them to sacrifice their lives for others. Like, if someone had a fatal wound and was bleeding out, dying and beyond healing, I could use the Healer's touch and save them.

By doing that I would be taking the illness or wound upon myself. The person who I saved would be perfectly fine and their wound would be on my body. I would die soon.

But this could only be used when the person was at the brink of death. If they could still be saved or if they were dead,it wouldn't work. No one could actually bring back people from the dead.

The govt. had declared it illegal years ago, because healers were more useful then.
After Terra was discovered, they did reconsider it but fortunately the bill wasn't passed. Now that epidemics were breaking out, the Healer's touch could technically save many lives.

But if it was made legal it also meant that many people would set out on a witch hunt for healers.
Of course people did do it illegally these days over the black market, selling off healers. But this would just increase it.

I was so shocked. Perilanters had been spotted. Granted Atlanta was in a whole another continent than where I lived, but still.... I couldn't shake the ominous feeling that something was gonna go wrong.

I'd been standing rooted to the spot for so long that I didn't realise how much time had gone. I looked at my watch. Shit. I was late for class.

I ran but my heavy bag really slowed me down. I reached the classroom door, panting.
"May I come in?" I asked.
"Look who finally showed up. Rita Scarlett," said our science teacher, Miss Salas.

(A\N: Yeah, science and magic kinda coexist in a weird way here...don't wanna bore u again with a long explanation)

Ugh. I hated her. I mean, even the way she spoke was so cringey. Like she was a movie villain or something.

"Since you weren't in any hurry to come to class, I'm sure you could stand outside for a bit,right?"
"But I was late by only 5 minutes!"
She ignored me. I groaned and set my bag on the ground. I stepped outside the class and leaned against the wall.

I just wanted to run out of here and not ever come back. Maybe one day I would...

The rest of the day flew by in a hurry until it was lunch without much happening. Even Amy didn't trouble me, except for shooting dirty glare at me.

But when we were sitting in class after eating, she said,"Soo Rita...I heard that the Healer's touch is going to be legal. You would do it for anyone in our class if we needed it, wouldn't you? At least then there'd be some purpose to your worthless life. Why don't you just go die for someone who actually deserves to live?"

"Oh, and I guess you're the one who decides that?"

I walked out before anyone could say anything else. I went to the corridor and leaned forward on the banister.

It was so suffocating to be around other people, even for a second. I could finally breathe a bit. I looked down at the trees and students playing outside. I saw a cat strutting about. I wished I was it. I wished I was anyone but me.

People could tell me that others had it worse, but I almost didn't have it in me to care about that. I just...

My thoughts were interrupted by a voice. God, I really needed to quit talking to myself so much.

"Are you okay?"

I realised I'd been burying my face in my hands.I looked up to see who it was. It was Ash. He was really popular, so what was he doing talking to me?

"Huh..? Yes, I'm fine."

I looked up at him and saw pity in his eyes. I instantly disliked him.

It was what I hated the most. I didn't need anyone's goddamn sympathy. Although I guess I was in a position to be pitied. But that didn't mean I liked it.

"Just tell me what you want," I told him.

It had been a really long day and I just wanted to get out of here.

"What are you doing here?" He asked me.

How the hell is that any of your business? I wanted to ask him. But I replied with a more polite version.

"I don't see how that's any of your business."
He inhaled sharply, as if trying to control his temper. I was glad I hadn't responded with the first thing that came to my mind like usual.

"Yeah, but everyone's in the cafeteria. Why did you come here?"

Wow, this guy was persistent. And annoying.

"I could ask you the same thing," I said.

"I wanted to talk to you."

Why would anyone want to talk to me?

"Well? I'm listening," I said.

I wanted to get rid of him as fast as possible. There had been people who tried to befriend me. In the end they all left, saying that they couldn't protect me all the time. That they couldn't handle the pressure of being around a healer, leaving me heartbroken every time.

So I stopped talking to people. Because no one actually cared. Never let them fool you.

"Rita Scarlett, I like you. Very much." He said.

......Wut.

AN: please give this chapter a vote as it really helps the story to get discovered more! :)
Also, this ain't gonna turn into a cheesy romcom so do look at the next chapter.