16 - The Monster

I fell asleep, resting my head against the window. 

I was back in my home, in the room with my mom. She was holding my hand. Last time I'd been seeing the dream in third person, but this time it was in first person. Mom was hugging me tightly, crying onto my shoulder. 

"Mom! What's wrong?" I asked her, desperate for answers.

"Rita... Your - your dad... He was m-murdered..! His co-workers identified his body. He was murdered by some mugger!" She was shaking and sobbing, repeating the same words again and again, "He was murdered, he was murdered..."

I was in shock. My dad was killed before 'he' attacked!? 

Suddenly mom pushed me away with force. 

"Why did he have to be so weak!? You...! You're the same! Why the hell are you so weak!?" She yelled, her voice double pitched. She looked at Lily, shouting, "Are you going to be the same!? Are you!?"

"Mom!" I cried, stepping towards her. She wasn't in her senses. 

"They warned me... don't marry a healer..  you'll regret it...! Well I did, didn't I!? Get away... Please..." She said to me. 

I sat on the floor, sobbing. I felt my past self's emotions coursing through me. Was dad really gone? But he promised... 

"He promised! He promised he'd come! He-he said he'd be there for my birthday..."

My grief turned into anger. Mom was right. Why was he so weak? Why the hell was I so weak!? Dad was gone..! My head throbbed as I felt rage and pain. I felt the same burning feeling. 

"Mom, it feels so hot! I feel like I'm burning! Mom, it hurts!" I cried.

I was jerked awake as our bus screeched to a halt. Huh? I looked around. Damnit! I was so close to knowing what happened...

"Why are we stopping? We're not at a bus stand," I asked.

"They're checking for those damn healer scums," the conductor said. 

"I know right!? Those healers are such pests! It's like, hand yourselves over already..!" I said..

'Please tell me that sounded at least a bit real.' I telepathized.

'It sounded a teeny bit fake..'

'Oh god, Lena, what do I do?!' .

I saw two men in suits enter the bus.

'I- I dunno! Okay wait, let me read their minds.'

'YOU CAN READ MINDS?! Why the fuck am I only learning about this now?!'

'They are going to scan our IDs, aah! Alright, just follow my lead!"

"Excuse me, what the hell is this security check!?" She yelled as the men came forward to check our IDs.

"Look here, kiddo it's just for ensuring-" he was cut off by her.

"I'm Lena Aurelius! And I demand that you let me and my friends go right now!"

Wait, her last name was Aurelius? Fucking Aurelius!? She was the daughter of the most powerful woman in the continent! 

That drew gasps from all over the bus. 

"Ma'am, may I please see your ID?"

"Oh for god's sake! You're such a bother, here you go!" She handed him her ID.

"Dave...?" The guy stuttered after scanning it, "It's not fake..."

"We are so terribly sorry, ma'am, but if you could kindly let us scan your friend's ID-"