7 - Captured ♪

(Play the video to read with music 🎶)

He had struck again.

My hands were shaking. That bastard...he got away again! He was here but - why couldn't I remember? Maybe because I fainted.

I crawled back and recoiled as I touched one of the perilanters. It stirred. I scrambled to my feet and ran. They were just temporarily stunned. I ran as far away from the scene as I could, then walked around searching for Lily.

After half an hour I finally found her lying unconscious on the footpath of an abandoned street. Her face was marked with dried tears and her beautiful blue hair was a mess.

"Lily! Lily, come on! Wake up!" I cried. I still had my bag on my shoulder. I took some water and sprinkled it in vain. She wouldn't wake up. I checked her pulse. She was definitely alive. I healed the wound on her arm. There was dried blood on it.

There was no way she wasn't infected. The same went for me. She probably had the sleeping sickness. She would never wake up. I hugged her limp but warm body, remembering when I found her on the ground all those years ago.

She was a ray of hope in this hell, but now she would be gone. And I would join her, shortly after. After all, I was infected too.  lost track of time. I have no idea how long I sat there like that, holding Lily.

Then the people in suits came. They grabbed me and bound my hands and feet. They didn't need to. I wouldn't have resisted anyway. I'd lost all will to live. One of them said something about taking Lily to the hospital. That she could no longer be used.

I wanted to tell them that I was also infected but no words would come out. They put me in a car and they all got in. I fell asleep in the car, exhausted.

When I woke up it was morning. It looked like we'd been driving all night. The woman who was driving slammed the brakes and the car jerked. I was lying down in the back seat and rolled down to the floor of the car, bumping my head.

Where were we? I had no idea. Now I wished I had paid a bit more attention in geography class. They opened the door and grabbed me by the collar of my shirt. My hoodie was gone. The shirt was red coloured any way, so the dried blood didn't really stand out.

They untied my feet so I could walk. One of them with red hair pushed me roughly. Let's call her Red. Red led me into the building in the front of which the car had been parked. The other two remained in the car. I walked inside reluctantly.
"Where am I?" I asked Red. She completely ignored me. I hated being ignored. Why should I even co-operate with her?

I had given it some thought. It had been a day. The incubation period of the disease wasn't much. Most people got it instantly like Lily. Also, I hadn't been experiencing any symptoms.

I concluded that I was probably disease - free. But how? My wound was even bigger than Lily's. And any type of contact that drew blood with perilanters would guarantee you an infection.
Then there was only one possibility.

I did feel like I was losing consciousness. So something- or someone had cured me. And the one person I was sure had been on the scene was him. But why had he saved me? All those years ago too, he had spared me.

He had the cure. I needed to find him. I could still save Lily. So I needed to get out of here first. My hands were still bound. But I probably wouldn't get another chance. I put my leg in her way, and she stumbled.

I ran back, nearly at the exit. You have no idea how hard it is to run with your hands tied to your back. I tripped on the carpet. I couldn't get up without using my hands. I writhed on the ground, helplessly trapped.

"Oh my god," Red said, laughing. "You actually thought you could escape like this?"
She lifted me high from afar, using her ability. Of course her ability had to be telekinesis! I cursed myself.

"Even if you escaped from me, my colleagues are outside. Idiot."

She slammed me to the ground. "Aaah!" My nose was definitely broken. I'd accidentally bit my tongue and I tasted blood. My whole body hurt. I was bruised all over.

"If you try that again, I'll drop you from twice the height." She said.
She set me upright on the ground. My legs gave way and I fell forward, hurting my nose again.
"Oh for god's sake, just get up and stop wasting my time!" She set me upright again and this time I balanced myself. I followed her.
"Healer scum." She muttered.

I held my tongue. We turned a corner and she entered a room. I followed. There was a man in a lab coat inside. He looked at me and said,
" 'Nother healer, huh? You've been bringin' rather a lot o' them these days, Elise. Though I guess that's to be expected, considerin' the Healer's touch law an' all."

"Yeah,yeah, enough chit chat. Test her. " Elise said. She shoved me towards him. He held my hand and touched by mana mark.

It was a mole of a specific shape on our palm. Magic flowed outwards through it. He kept his palm over mine, so that both of our mana marks touched. I felt my energy being absorbed by him.

His eyes widened and he gasped.
"Elise..! This is...! Don't kill her. She's unique! Her energy... I've never seen anythin' like it. You need to use her."

"Well! I guess you weren't a waste of time after all!" Elise smirked.

I breathed a sigh of relief. I thought they couldn't do anything worse than killing me.

I didn't know how wrong I was.

Author's note: I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Do click that star on the bottom left to vote this chapter!