10 - Stranded

I raised my weapon in defence. Though it wouldn't be much use against Axel. I began backing away from them. I couldn't even escape by running. We were on a ship.

"Whoa, Rita, wait! We aren't going to hand you over!" Lena said.

I still wasn't sold. I looked at Axel. 

"Rita, even though you knew you risked getting caught, you still healed me. I will always remember that. I owe you, and even if I didn't, I would never hand you over. That would be basically killing you. Also I'm kinda scared of that showerhead." He smiled.

Despite myself, I smiled too and dropped the showerhead. I could trust them... maybe. 

We tied up all the guards.

We reached a port after a week or so. I thought I would die of boredom, but on the contrary, I actually enjoyed the company. I realised how lonely I'd been these past few years. But with every day I grew more concerned for Lily.  

I told them about Lily and that day and him. I know, I know, maybe I overshared. But I desperately needed to vent. I'd been keeping all that stuff cooped up in my head for ages.

When we reached the port Axel copied the powers of three guards. "You never know when you'll need it," he reasoned.

We stepped out of the ship onto land. Some of the adults went to report the happening to the police and give them the mana. I was supposed to stay and give testimony as a witness and a victim but Lena and Axel helped me sneak off.

"I guess this is it...bye guys," I said.

"Rita, come with us," Lena persisted.

I didn't want to get attached to them.

"I don't know, Lena, I have a long way to go."

"You don't even have any cash, do you?"

That was true. Elise had taken my bag from me. And the cash along with it.

"Come with us and we'll help you find him."

"I don't wanna rely on you guys. And besides, I'll just be a burden as a healer."

Axel sighed. "I didn't tell you guys this but today morning, I called my dad," he said, looking down.

"My mom has the sleeping sickness too." His eyes were brimmed with tears. 

"Oh god Axel, I'm so sorry." Lena said.

I didn't know how to console him. I knew how he felt and yet I didn't. 

"I'm sorry," was all that I managed to say.

"It happened two days ago. They said she was lucky not to get killed. I want to save her, Rita! So we're not coming with you out of pity or anything. I consider you a friend and I know Lena does too. And if you don't want to come with us, let us come with you. And you're the only link I know to the man who has the cure to this damn disease. So please." 

"And for the record, you take pretty good care of yourself! You won't be a burden." Lena added.

Oh what the hell. I'd already gotten attached to them. There was no use denying it. And I really did want to go with them.

"Okay, okay, I'll come with."

"Really?" Lena exclaimed.

"Yeah. What if this klutz gets shot in the arm again? You'll need someone to save you, right?"

I teased.

"Yeah, sure. Totally ignore the fact that I took down seven people by myself." He said.