CHAPTER 21

Erebor

The dwarves looked at the woman dumbfounded. Would they really reach Erebor...flying?!

"You're kidding, right?"

Bofur asked her, worried and incredibly excited at the same time. In response, Arya turned around and, climbing from the wing, mounted her dragon, before nodding to them, inviting them to do the same.

Fili was the first to approach, encouraged by his previous experience with Saphira. The dwarf cautiously stretched his hand to stroke the animal's neck, making sure he had its permission. Drogon's wrinkled skin initially tensed under his touch, but then it relaxed, hinting that it accepted him on its back. The dwarf then placed himself behind his beloved, surrounding her waist with his arms.

A few moments later Kili repeated the same actions of his brother and, after him, also Bofur and Oin, not without some difficulty, climbed on the back of the dragon.

"Hold on tight!"

The the woman told them, as Drogon began to speed up to be able to get off the ground

"Don't do anything crazy, we have guests!"

He continued by addressing his dragon.

"Me? Crazy? When ever?"

The animal immediately retorted, taking flight.

"Good trip! May you find your friends safe and sound when you arrive."

Bard yelled, who, together with Tauriel and his sons, was now watching them move quickly away towards the Mountain.
The elf wanted to follow them. She wanted to follow Kili. But she couldn't: she still had obligations to her people, she had to put aside her feelings for the dwarf and follow Legolas north, to Gundabad's orc fortress.

Drogon stabilised with a few large flaps of wings, followed by several "ooooh" from the dwarves, some of whom were terrified while others, like Kili, thrilled.

"This is amazing!"

The young man shouted, laughing.

"Amazing? No, I wouldn't call it amazing at all, lad."

Oin immediately replied, catching his breath.
Arya smiled and felt Fili's arms gently tighten around her waist. She had forgotten how great it was to fly, to ride the wind and break the clouds, to be able to observe the world from above. And flying with Him, close to Him, was a wonderful dream that became reality.

A little less than an hour later, Drogon touched land at the entrance to the Lonely Mountain. Arya came down from his back and helped the dwarves do the same.

"Awesome! It was absolutely awesome!"

Kili exclaimed as soon as he was on the ground again, getting a nasty look from Oin.

"Can we do it again?"

The dwarf continued, turning in the direction of Arya with his hands joined in front of his chest in a prayer position.

"Of course you can, I'm sure Viseryon would be delighted to give you a lift to the Blue Mountains, in case you wanted to visit your relatives!"

Drogon commented in the woman's mind.

"Excuse me? What would I be delighted to do?"

Viseryon was quick to reply, hearing the conversation. Arya burst out laughing, under the questioning and hopeful gaze of Kili, who was still waiting for an answer.

"Maybe another time, brother."

Fili told him, giving him a pat on the back and starting to head towards the entrance of the Mountain. The youngest snorted, but he soon returned to smile, as he followed his brother along with Bofur and Oin.
The woman, instead, approached the snout of her dragon, taking it gently in her hands.