CHAPTER 13

Barrels out of control

Once past the waterfall, the company began to advance quickly thanks to the current of the river.

Fili pulled Arya in close, one hand behind her back and the other behind her neck, in an attempt to protect her as much as possible from the bumps caused by the collision of the barrels with the waves. She let him do it, resting her head on his chest.

Soon the river led them to the gates that controlled the water course but, when they arrived, the grates had already been closed. The elves had beaten them to the punch.

"No!"

Thorin exclaimed with regret, immediately starting to think of another way to escape, but his attention was caught by a sudden whistle. A black arrow pierced the shoulder of one of the elves guarding the wall: the orcs had arrived. The sentry fell from the rampart as a whole pack began to cross the border.

"Watch out!"

Bofur shouted to his companions when the beasts began to throw themselves fiercely on them. One of those monsters hurled himself at Nori, trying to kill him, but Bilbo, still clinging to the barrel of the dwarf, pierced the creature with his sword; another orc tried to get close to Dwalin, who knocked him into the water with an elbow. A beast raised its blade against Fili who, promptly, blocked his forearm, while Arya, now free from the grasp of her beloved, retrieved a second knife from the enemy's belt and then thrust it into his chest. Behind them, Kili had spotted the lever that opened the grates, so he jumped out of his barrel and started climbing the bastion. Soon, however, he found himself surrounded by orcs. Arya, seeing her friend in trouble, threw the knife which she had used shortly before at the beast that was threatening Kili from behind, hitting the target. Having escaped the danger, the young dwarf managed to advance towards the lever but, before he could reach it, a black arrow struck his leg.

"Kili!"

Fili screamed in alarm. Kili tried to lower the lever but, due to the pain, he collapsed to the ground without strength, unaware of the orc that was coming behind him. Another arrow was fired at that time, but not a Morgul arrow, this one was of elven make, and it pierced the beast in the chest. Arya looked around and recognized the guard who had saved Kili from the spiders a few days earlier. The elf was fighting deftly against the orcs on the river bank; Legolas soon arrived at her side, along with at least a dozen warriors. At the sight of the elf girl, Kili regained his strength and managed to pull the lever. The grates opened, allowing the company to continue its run along the river. The young dwarf then let himself fall back into the barrel and, in doing so, broke the arrow that was still lodged in his knee. Kili gasped in pain, drawing the worried gaze of his brother and Arya to himself.

After passing the bastion, the fifteen companions ended up in another waterfall, following which the course of the river became even more impetuous. As soon as the orcs realized that the dwarves had escaped, they launched a pursuit, running along the shore and repeatedly shooting arrows at the barrels.
The fugitives find themselves having to avoid the attacks of a pack of orcs and, at the same time, try to keep the barrels in balance and not let them overturn.

Suddenly, an orc hurled himself at Thorin, but he struck him with his sword, throwing him into the water. Shortly after another beast, which was on a log suspended above the river, was preparing to lash out at Balin, so Thorin threw the sword, impaling him to the log and, while passing under him, deprived him of his weapon. He then threw it to Dwalin who, in turn, tossed it to Nori, and he to Fili.

"On the right!"

Arya warned him. The dwarf turned immediately and used the blade to pierce the abdomen of an orc that was about to pounce on them from the shore.