CHAPTER 16

Royal blood

Arya was sitting in front of the fireplace with a blanket over her shoulders, watching the flames dance. Had they succeeded in their mission, soon the inhabitants of Esgaroth would have known nothing but dragon fire, and she wouldn't have been able to help them from inside the Mountain.

"Arya? Are you all right?"

The flow of those thoughts was interrupted by Bilbo who, like her, was warming himself in front of the hearth, while looking at her worriedly.

"Mh? Oh, yes sure, don't worry Bilbo."

She replied with a smile, and then shift her attention back to the crackling flames in the fireplace.

"No, I know something's going on. So, what is it?"

The hobbit continued, forcing her to turn back in his direction.

"It's nothing Bilbo, really. I was just thinking about what lies ahead."

"You mean the dragon?"

Arya nodded with a dark expression on her face, an expression that her friend had never seen before: she really seemed very worried.

"What makes you think it's still there? According to what Balin says, no one has seen it for 60 years. "

The halfling then asked her.

"That's exactly what makes me think it is there: if it had gone out, it would have been seen."

The girl explained quietly. Bilbo found no objection to those words, so silence fell again between them.

"The sun is setting."

Oin announced a few moments later, standing by the window.

"Gather your things, let's go!"

Thorin ordered in an authoritative tone. All members of the company started immediately to mobilise, even if they didn't have much to take.

"No, stop! You can't leave now! There are spies guarding the house! At least wait for my father to come back! "

Bain, the son of Bard, tried to stop them, standing still in front of the door, but it was all in vain.

"Move away lad, we've already held back too long!"

Dwalin roared out, before roughly taking him by the shoulder and moving him from the entrance. Realising that dwarves could not be reasoned with, Sigrid decided to approach Arya.

"I don't think leaving now is a good idea, you risk getting caught."

The woman looked at her uneasily.

"I agree, but when Thorin sets his mind to something nobody can change it, and we're really running out of time."

She explained seriously.

"Thank you for everything you have done for us and, please, forgive us if we have caused you any problems."

She then added, smiling at her. Sigrid returned the smile and let her follow her companions out of the house.

Night had fallen when, finally, the company managed to find the city's armory. Taking advantage of the cover of the dark and trying to make as little noise as possible, Thorin, along with Bilbo, Nori, Kili and Bofur, climbed up to reach a window on the right side of the building, while the other dwarves remained on guard with the girl. The thieves began to recover as many weapons as they could and entrusted them to Kili, who was in charge of taking them out. The young dwarf, however, due to the injury to his knee, succumbed to the weight of the axes and swords, falling down the stairs. The loud and sudden noise drew the attention of the guards who, having caught them red-handed, arrested them and brought them in the presence of the Master.
Therefore, the fifteen companions found themselves being dragged into an open space at the foot of a wide staircase, which led to the palace of the Governor of Laketown. All the inhabitants had gathered around them: the rumors about their presence had spread quickly and people had begun to find hope in the old legends about the Mountain and its immense treasures.