CHAPTER 22

Dragon Sickness

"Any sign of it?"

He asked Thorin grumpy of his companions, leaning out of the ornate balustrade of one of the galleries overlooking the treasure room.
The dwarves and the girl had been desperately searching for Arkengemma for hours, but to no avail.

"Nothing yet."

Dwalin admitted in dismay, standing on a heap of gold not far from the balcony.

"Nothing, nothing here."

Ori shouted, from the other end of the immense hall.

"Keep looking for it!"

Thorin thundered, starting to walk up and down the passage.

"That jewel could be anywhere!"

Oin complained.

"The Arkenstone is in these halls. Find it!"

The young king replied severely.

"You heard him, keep looking."

Dwalin intimated to his friends, fearful of making Thorin more nervous than he already was.

"All of you! No one rests until it is found!"

The King yelled again.

The search continued until nightfall when, convinced by the pleas of his nephews, Thorin decided to give them a truce. The company then decided to retire to the room adjacent to the hall where they had met that morning, which was equipped with mattresses and pillows for the night.

Once she entered the room, overwhelmed by fatigue, Arya immediately found a comfortable place to settle down, but a voice behind her made her stop immediately.

"Where do you think you're going?"

Fili asked her, gently grabbing her arm. The girl turned to him, raising her eyebrows and giving him a questioning look. The dwarf smiled and led her to the back of the room. Here, not far from the fireplace but more isolated than the others, there was a comfortable pile of pillows, only partially occupied by Kili, who was already soundly asleep.
Fili lay down a short distance from his brother and let Arya lie between them. The girl curled up on the blond's side, leaning her head to his chest and surrounding his waist with an arm. The dwarf squeezed her to himself, beginning to run his fingers between her long brown hair.

Arya didn't know how much had passed since she had fallen asleep, if minutes, hours or maybe even days, considering how weary she was, but she suddenly opened her eyes wide, when she felt a twinge of pain running through her back. The girl tried to get up to find the cause, but Fili stopped her.

"Wait."

He told her calmly, as he stretched out his arm, which before was surrounding her shoulders, to push his brother farther.

"He can't sit still, not even when he's sleeping."

He explained, in a mixture of amusement and annoyance, referring to Kili, who had now turned to the other side without noticing anything.

"Did he hurt you?"

He then asked her sweetly.

"I'll survive."

She answered, putting her head back on his chest. The dwarf smiled and stroked her head again.

"Fili..."

She murmured shortly after.

"Hmm?"

"You didn't sleep a wink, did you?"