XI.

~~~

~~~

As days passed and the games progressed, we continued to evolve our play as a team and push through the first selection. Just two days previously, we'd won our game against Team Y with a score of 2-1. It had been an intense match, though luckily I'd been able to score a goal with the help of a pass from Bachira before going 1v1 with a few defenders. Just how I liked it.

But the time had at last come for our third match of the selection.

"Well," Kuon said, standing up from his chair in the film room. "We've done everything we can watching these vids to get ready for the match against Team W. Let's head to the locker room."

"Right!"

"Let's win this, Team Z!"

~~~

So these are the Wanima twins, I thought as we made our way onto the pitch where Team W stood waiting for us. Those are some funny looking eyebrows...

Team W started with the ball, and as expected, the teams top scorers, Keisuke and Junichi Wanima, were at the top. In a flash, they were dribbling through our lines, performing a one, two passing pattern to break through our defense.

"Chigiri! Isagi! Stop them!" I shouted from my place on the wing, watching as Chigiri was bested and Isagi ran to his aid. With a quick, clean slide tackle, Isagi gained possession of the ball.

"Go for it, Naruhaya!" Isagi called, passing it up to our center midfielder.

He took a touch, stepping around a defender who came barreling in. "It's yours, Saito!"

Let's do this, I smirked. Receiving the ball, I made off down the sideline, dribbling around incoming defenders like they were practice cones. "Get in!" I called, having almost made it to the corner flag. I sent the ball high into the air with a perfect arch, headed straight for the penalty area where Team Z was closing in.

Through the chaos, a lone figure surfaced high above the rest. With a powerful diving header, Kuon directed the ball straight into the back of the net.

"LET'S GOOO!" He cried, pumping his fists into the air as Team Z whooped around him.

That was a crazy header, I thought as I jogged back to our half of the field for the restart. Kuon's jumping power must be his 'weapon'.

"Let's do it again," Kuon turned to me, smiling, as he gave me a thumbs up.

"Right," I replied with a determined nod. If he keeps getting past their defense like that, and we can continue to take the ball down field for the cross, we can win this match with Kuon's strength up top. As the game restarted, I made the same movements down the wing. Let's see if we can replicate that play.

By the time I received the ball again, we were already deep into Team W's half. With a quick half scissor, I was around my defender, once again on a breakaway down the field. "Kuon!" I shouted, rocketing the ball to his location.