XXIII.

~~~

~~~

Over the next few days, all I could think about was the offer Ego had given me. The decision should have been easy, but whenever my thoughts strayed to leaving Blue Lock, a fist seemed to close itself around my throat.

My attention was suddenly pulled away from my thoughts when I heard shouting coming from the mess hall. Swiftly, I made my way down the hall, poking my head through the doorframe, eyes immediately latching onto the scene that was unfolding in the middle of the room.

"...and we'll be sure to crush you."

I couldn't help the smile from creeping its way onto my lips at the sight of Isagi standing toe to toe with my own teammate, Rin. His brow was furrowed and gaze sharp as he glared up at Rin's imposing frame.

The taller boy scoffed, looking down his nose with poorly masked distaste. "You won't," he stated without hesitation. "I doubt it will even be much of a match. But I'm tired of waiting, so fine. Tomorrow at eight then."

Isagi nodded, expression dark. "Fine." They held eye contact for a moment, some silent battle taking place between them, before Isagi finally glanced away. Somehow, he must have felt eyes on him then, for he found me through the sea of players, a smirk gracing his lips. His own orbs sparkled mischeviously, seeming to say, Watch out, Jin. We're coming.

I turned, putting distance between myself and those eyes, heart pounding wildly within me.

~~~

"You think they stand a chance?"

We were standing in the tunnel that would lead us out to the pitch beyond. Through the bright lights, I could see the figures of Isagi and his team waiting for us in the middle of the field, but we made no move yet to meet them.

Rin glanced down at my smaller frame from his place beside me. "No," he said bluntly, his own gaze following mine to watch our opponents in the distance. "They'll try. But deep down he knows who's better." He didn't have to say his name for me to know he was referring to Isagi.

You're wrong, I thought, studying Rin's expressionless face and cold, calculating eyes. You think you have him all figured out, but Isagi doesn't give up and he doesn't doubt. He'll believe there's a chance they can win this.

They won't of course, but he won't see it until defeat is staring him in the face.

There was a sigh from my other side as Aryu stepped up beside us, flicking his long hair over his shoulder lazily. "Can we go now? I want to have time to blow dry my hair before breakfast."