XXVII

~~~

~~~

That night we moved to a different dorm with an added bunk to fit Isagi, and even though the beds were comfortable, I could hardly sleep. I couldn't help the feelings of guilt from consuming me as I stared up at Tokimitsu's bunk above me.

I have to tell him, I thought, mind racing and fingers fidgeting where they rested upon my stomach. I don't want to lead him on just to disappear.

My moment with Isagi in the showers had been amazing, but it seemed to only make my feelings towards him grow. With my impending decision, I was distraught over how to handle my situation with him.

Fuck this. Gently, I pulled back my blankets, shifting to sit up in bed while simultaneously scanning the room. With our game having left us exhausted, it seemed the boys were already out cold.

Quietly, I got up, tip toeing to the door and silently making my way out into the hallway. I held my breath as the door slid shut behind me, but when I heard no movement from inside I began my walk down the hall, bare feet padding softly against the cool tile floor.

This feels familiar, I thought as I turned the corner and the locker room came into view. I couldn't help the small grin from forming on my lips at the memory of sneaking out to practice in my first few weeks at Blue Lock. It had been a while since I'd last had trouble sleeping.

Though the nostalgia that washed over me was nice, the night felt different than before. So instead of heading into the locker room to retrieve my cleats, I followed the tunnel directly through the yawning entrance and onto the pitch.

The field was cool, the only source of light coming from the bright moon above and the dim emergency lights of the facility back through the tunnel. It was peaceful, and I closed my eyes for a moment, breathing in the freshness of it and feeling the tickle of the grass against my bare feet as I listened to the crickets somewhere off in the forest outside. It had been so long since I'd been outdoors, but in the open air of the stadium, it was almost good enough.

I made my way to the center of the pitch, sitting down and leaning back to look up at the stars that dazzled the clear night sky. If I focused, I could pretend I was home with Ryo in my backyard, scouting for shooting stars. In that moment, my old life had never felt so far away.

Maybe not for long though. I couldn't help the thought from popping into my head, shattering the brief calm I'd initially felt. If you were to go to the camp, you'd be able to live your life again. Make real choices for yourself.

But football was my life. And there was no guarantee that this camp would get me closer to my dream of going pro. At least in Blue Lock, I knew where I stood amongst my competitors and how far I had left to go.

"I was wondering when I'd see you back here again."

Startled out of my thoughts, I whipped my head around at the sound of the voice behind me, letting out a breath at the sight of the familiar boy striding onto the field. "Bachira," I acknowledged, as the spunky boy dropped down beside me on the grass. "What are you doing out here?"