XXIV.

~~~

~~~

There were three minutes left on the clock as we set up for kickoff with Isagi's goal tying up the game. My insides were buzzing and I was itching to get my foot on the ball. Isagi would have no idea what was coming for him.

The whistle blew and Rin passed the ball back to Tokimitsu to restart the match. I could see the fear take over his features as Isagi jumped to defend him.

"Come on, Tokimitsu!" I shouted, hopefully interrupting his anxious thoughts as I doubled back to offer support.

"Oh no, oh no," he whimpered, before sending the ball around Isagi's left side as he launched himself around his right, practically kicking up a trail of dust as he reconnected with the ball, effectively blowing past the boy.

Thank god, I let myself breathe a moment, relieved that Tokimitsu hadn't let his fears take over. I ran up the left wing ahead of him, calling for the ball. "Toki! You have me!"

The ball was sent my way and I touched the ball ahead of me to continue my pursuit down the field. I felt renewed excitement rush through me at the feeling of my foot connecting with the ball and I had to bite back a smile. Here he comes... I thought as Nagi stepped forward to intercept me.

I watched carefully ahead as the boy loomed closer. He's got me beat in practically every way. He's taller, stronger, faster. I felt the wind against my face, allowing it to fill my lungs with a deep breath in. But his strongest ability is his confidence with balls in the air, so I just have to give him something that's on the ground and can beat his speed.

I glanced to my right where Aryu was sprinting across the field towards me and allowed myself to grin. And luckily, I've got numbers on my side.

I kept going forward, waiting for just the right moment when Aryu would be close enough and Nagi would take the bait. Just as the white haired boy lunged forward with the intention of stealing the ball from my feet, I flicked the ball with the outside of my foot to Aryu, praying to myself that he understood my plan.

Come on motherfucker, I prayed, grinding my teeth as I darted past Nagi on the left. See my run and give it back!

My prayers were answered when the long haired boy one-touched the ball back to me behind Nagi for a give-and-go sequence, allowing me to continue my race down the pitch unhindered. I allowed myself just a moment of joy before recentering my focus. As I neared the eighteen, I caught sight of Bachira doing his best to hold off Rin who was fighting to find an opening, eyes on mine. I could see them gleaming, staring me down, practically commanding me, Give me the ball, now!

But with Bachira occupied, that left only Baro to guard the net.

Baro was tough, strong. But as long as I don't give him the chance to get too close and body me off the ball, I can take him, I thought.

Drawing near, I watched him watching me. It's like fighting a bull, I told myself. Catch him just right and...

A half scissor with my right foot and Baro dove towards my left, reading the move and anticipating the touch with my opposite foot. But with a cheeky flick of my left I pulled an elastica, dancing around him as he barreled past, the ball settling cleanly on my right foot once again.

...he'll blow right past you.

With one final touch of my right, I sent the ball careening into the top left corner of the goal.

"TWEET!"

My breath came out ragged as I attempted to settle my pounding heart. Aryu came to give me a side hug (before quickly letting go, complaining about the sweat that would get all over him) and Tokimitsu barrelled into me, a wide grin replacing his usual anxious features. But I hardly registered it, my eyes seeking out the blue ones that were already upon mine.

Isagi was on his knees not far outside the eighteen, breathing heavily, arms limp at his side, looking as though someone had struck him.

Gently, I shook off Tokimitsu, stepping towards him. Behind me, Aryu and Tokimitsu were speaking. "I guess we'll choose again," Aryu was saying, but the sound filtered in as though through water.

There was something sick inside me, something dark and curling. I couldn't help the thrill that bloomed in my chest at the sight of Isagi panting on his knees. Yet just below the surface I felt something urgent. Something along the lines of panic. "Isagi, I-"

"Shut up," Rin barked from off to the side. Sweat dripped into his eyes as he lifted his head to look at the rest of us, now frozen at the sound of his voice ringing across the pitch. "I'm going to choose. And there will be no objections."

The panic that I'd felt teetering in my chest flooded me then. "Rin," I tried quickly, but he cut me off sharply.

"No." He stepped forward to my side, eyes trained on the boy on the ground. After a moment, he held out his hand. "Come, Yoichi Isagi. You can have a front row view of my ascension to the worlds number one."

The panic inside me skittered away and I couldn't help the cheshire grin from curling my lips.

~~~

A/N: I had to add Rin's cocky ass lines. Too fun to leave out lol.