Lust

____________________
The second circle of hell is revered for those who have committed lustful sins. The souls are blown about in a violent storm, with no hope for rest.
____________________

My hair is still wet, but I've done my best to cover it. Scratching at the uncomfortable hat I had to wear, I hold back a groan. Our client is not leaving. The local commissioner is buying an old townhouse at a liberally reduced price. He's getting it for a steal, and he should be grateful, rather than even more cheap and increasingly bargaining and greedy. I do't want to deal with this. I'm too excited for Felix and I to leave to go...I'm not sure where.

"What we're giving you is final. It's down almost sixty percent. If you don't take this offer we will surely find another buyer."

"Brenna, easy." Felix speaks turning to the man before us. "We will give you five percent more. That's all."

"Mr. Wolfe, are you certain?" The commissioner asks. "That's kind. Very kind." He doesn't make eye contact with me anymore.

"Yes. I expect that will be enough for you."

"Yes, I believe that will suffice."

Within the hour, the documentation of ownership has been signed, and we're on our way out. As I step into the streets, I start to laugh. "What a crude gentleman. How unabashedly sexist of him. He had to speak to you, the man, to be happy with the purchase. Five percent is nothing! He just didn't want me to be the one to sell him the house."

"I'm glad you find humour in it. Most women seem to be able to only silently dissent when it comes to overt misoginy." He holds out his hand.

"I'm kind of in a special category." I playfully sneer as I get into the waiting carriage.

___________________________________________

"Do you have everything?" Felix checks his watch. The servants have taken care of our luggage, and we're all set to leave the manor in their hands. I'm still not entirely used to having such specified assistants, from a maid who just handles silverware to a footman who just announces other servants - it's quite extravagant. "I know you'll want to check."

I nod. "Yes, I have everything I need." I press my hands together. "Now, where are we going?" I blink, expectantly, theatrically. I thought he was going to let me choose our destination. "You said, if I recall we would be going "anywhere I want." He ignores me.

"We're heading somewhere warm." He gives my hand a squeeze, donning a dazzling smile. The sun-specks on the bridge of his nose give him an innocent, youthful appearance.

I give in, excited for a surprise. Felix knows I like the cold, but somehow I feel like I'm going to want to be somewhere decently warm for our 'holiday' of sorts. If we follow the traditional decent into Hell via Dante's works, The first sin to face is lust, which I am both eager and excited and terrified and anxious to go through. I have an incredibly low sex-drive. It's quite sad, actually.

Snow falls in small quantities, billowing around us as we depart. I clutch my scarlet coat around me, and Felix grasps my waist. He has a carriage called already. The horses react somewhat weirdly to him, but it's obvious why. I'm always surprised no one ever notices or comments on it. It happens a lot. As we step inside, we're off. Evergreens shoot by us as we head west. In less than fifteen minutes we're at the port- the shipyards. Felix opens the carriage door. I step down and see a large, enticing vessel ready to set sail.

"Gonna tell me?"

"Not yet."

We board the ship and settle down into our cabin. It's refreshing to be at sea. I've always loved it. The salty air, the gulls, the way the stars seem endless and the nights when the moon shines brighter than the sun itself makes me think, had I been born an Englishman, that I'd make a wonderful captain, or admiral even, in the Royal Navy.