Gluttony

____________________
The third circle of hell is reserved for the gluttonous. It's punishment involves an icy, slush filled, freezing rain.
____________________

"Brenna." I groan, knowing what waking up could mean. Yet again, over and over, we've been doing this, but dare I say it, I'm tired. I need a break. "Come on, darling, time to get up."

"Please don't make me do you first thing in the morning, not again, please." 

Felix rolls over and puts on his glasses, laughing a bit. I stay put. Hopefully this means he'll calm down some. We've been sailing now for a while, and must be near the New York harbour, since I can hear the faint sounds of seagulls outside. Thank. God. The air feels cold though, and the slight twinge of longing I felt for summer passed with the gusts of wind rocking the ship in the shallow waters.

"I do believe we're finished with that bit now." He laughs again, more so this time. "You don't have to be afraid of continuous frenzied intimacy anymore." I exhale, then roll over, stretch and rub my eyes.

"Praise Christ." Despite my sarcasm, I smile at him, eagerly anticipating what he's about to say. We both pick up on the sound of more people leaving their cabins, going up to the main deck, to greet the new day and fresh city.  I resist the urge to race up myself and run off into the American crowds, the city streets, the freedom that comes with the spangled stars of the United States, but I wait for further instructions. I can't be too hasty, though I'd like total control. These past few days have taught me that. 

Felix smiles. "You're eager, Brenna." That's it? 

"Of course I am." I laugh. "I told you that I've always dreamed of coming to the States." I lean over and place my head on Felix's chest, another impromptu act of affection. "Thank you, Felix. for bringing me here."

Felix feels hot, again a successful tool against the cold. "You're going to adore what I have planned for tonight. I know how much you love to eat."

"I'm not hungry!" I reply loudly. "I want to travel around, go see the museums, the park! I don't want to sit in a pub and eat and drink when there's so much to do! I'd hate to miss out on-" I stop. Felix is looking at me with a mix of what looks like anger, regret and annoyance.

"Damn." I forgot. Felix gets to call the shots this entire trip. We did the fun stuff. Now comes the scary, evil parts that I have to deal with to cleanse myself of the contract. I have to burn here before I can be reborn from the ashes. "No." I fake a smile. "I love food! Let's eat!"

_____________________________________________

After an irritatingly cumbersome hustle to get off the ship and into the city, Felix and I check into an ostentatious, expensive and conspicuous hotel, and ready ourselves to take on Manhattan.

"Are you using a shower?" I knock fervently on the heavy door that frames the exit point to our main bedroom. "Even we don't have one of those!" 

"Leave me alone!" I hear a shout. He mocks me. "I'm new to this." I grow irritated. "I want to enjoy such a luxury." 

"All alone?" I try to sound as beguiling as possible.

"Yes. It's compact. You wouldn't fit in here." 

"You're cruel! I hate you!" 

He laughs, loud enough to notify the other guests of our arrival, and I let out an annoyed sigh, before trekking over to the ottoman in the center of the spacious suite. I plop down, and it shakes with my gesture. Finally,  I hear the water shut off and the sound of dripping feet pacing across tile. The door swings open and Felix leans in.