Heresy

____________________
The sixth circle of hell is reserved for heretics. Their eternal punishment is being encased in tombs of fire.
____________________

"Brenna, slow down!" Ciel pants. He can't keep up. I'm not sure why, but I don't care. 

"We have to get there. We have to save him."

"He'll be fine." Sebastian assures me. "He's strong even if he is a bloody damn dog."

"Not even metaphorically." I allow a laugh as we race toward the cathedral. "I don't know for sure, but from what I can gather, his true form resembles some sort of horribly unbecoming wolf. He has a peculiar fascination for them." 

"It makes sense." Sebastian laughs. He's a talented actor, but I recognize the difference. He's not really happy about this. Something else is on his mind. "I can't say I understand the interest. Dogs are disgusting." I scoff, still finding it easy to continue. If it weren't for the situation, I'd be elated that I had the capacity to run like this. 

"I ORDER you to slow down!" Immediately, Sebastian slows his pace. I'm forced to comply as well. I hate him in this moment. 

Still walking as fast as I'm permitted, we reach the outside of the cathedral as evening rolls in. A low hanging moon is shadowed by dark clouds. The smell of fire fills the air.

I bang on the door. "OPEN UP!" I bellow.

"They're never going to listen to that." Ciel grunts. "Sebastian." He nods. "You've been in a similar situation before. You know what to do."

"Yes, my lord." Sebastian instantaneously breaks open the heavy cathedral doors and we're facing a circle of hooded men about to drive a dagger through my husband. I grow angrier than I ever have in my entire life as I nearly throw myself into them.

A hand stops me. "Wait." Sebastian leans and whispers to me.

I listen, despite my better judgment. Then, Felix is impaled.

"WHY DID YOU LET THAT HAPPEN?!"  I throw myself into the rim of priests, on top of Felix, shielding him. I can't stop myself. I yell, crying and hyperventilating, completely going to pieces. I'm falling apart. I exhale, and rise up, shouting at the altar, screaming at the prominent crucifix in the center of the church, hateful, irate, filled with venom and rage.

"I hereby renounce my faith. If they kill me, then I guess we'll both go to Hell. It wouldn't be Heaven without Felix. YOU HEAR THAT?" I smile, laughing. "You weren't there for me, God. You didn't save me. You let me die! He came for me! I look down. "A DEMON saved me. So, fuck you! I hate you! "YOU NO LONGER ARE MINE."

I feel someone touch my waist. My breath catches. I feel like my heart will stop beating at any moment. Felix isn't dead. He brushes my hair off my face as he speaks to me. "There."

I'm confused, at a loss for an explanation, but before I can do anything else, Felix and I are being pulled toward the forest nearby. When we turn around, the cathedral is on fire. The screams of the dying clergymen echo though the night.