Greed

____________________
The fourth circle of hell is reserved for the greedy. A giant Plutonian creature guards them, preventing their flight.
____________________

The light chirping of songbirds outside the 'pub' wrenches me from a pleasant slumber. I groan, annoyed by what would otherwise be a peaceful morning wake-up call. My head is pounding. I need some type of remedy to nurse this hangover. I slump upward into a sitting position. Felix is immobile and stiff next to me, still enveloped in pleasant sleep. 

I decide to wake him up. I slap his back.

"What the?!" He rouses as pale hands flail a bit before he slouches back over.

"Wake up!" I hit him again. He groans. I laugh as he sits up, acting impeccably, undeniably human. It's getting harder to see him as anything else, and so far, this has been nothing but fun. It can't be this easy forever, right? It just can't. 

"Fine." He runs a hand through his hair, smoothing it down. "We have business to do today anyway." 

"Where at?" I rub my temples, my smile fading fast. The idea of doing business pains me. "I thought this was a holiday."

"Fifth avenue and beyond." He smiles, brighter than ever. "With a certain Englishman." He places his hand over mine. "You do know the next vice is greed, correct?" 

"Oh...right. Of course I did." I nod. 

"Sure." He leans back. "Well, we're meeting someone in particular. Someone you don't have to hide around, not like the people we work with in London. This lad's unique."

"Wait...lad?" My eyes narrow. "Felix, what are you planning?"

"You'll have to wait and see." He winks at me, standing up. "I'll help you get dressed." 

____________________________________________-

Hours later we're slowly making our way to the sunny center of business for New York City. We pass banks, churches, and finally we arrive at the stock exchange. Men with tall hats mill about, buzzing like a hive of bees. I make out a shorter, obviously younger figure, talking with a taller man and a few others who appear to be Italian.

"God damn it, Felix." I hiss. I'm sure I see him smile.

The boy and his company move toward us. Finally, the one to his right bows to me after telling the Italian stockbrokers that they thoroughly enjoyed doing business with them. 

"Madam Wolfe, how lovely it is to finally meet you."

I hesitate, not sure if I should give myself away. I wait for Felix. I turn to look at him. I hear a polite indication to continue. 

"Uh...hello..." I remember what Felix said before. I don't have to hide. "Sebastian. Michaelis. Like the Grand Inquisitor of Avingon in the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century, who apparently communicated with a demon named Berith and wrote a false confession for this handsome priest who didn't do anything wrong over this awful nun named Madeline De Demandolx de la Palaud, who I hate without knowing and I just-" I'm cut off. 

"My apologies, Sebastian, she rambles when she's nervous." 

Inwardly, I thank God for him. Maybe that's worth something now. 

I step forward, and extend my hand. "I know about you, and your master, and I know you know me and mine." 

Felix interrupts, smirking. "I'm her husband." I roll my eyes, as Sebastian takes my hand. I look down at Ciel Phantomhive. This is the first time we've directly interacted, in person, and what an introduction it is. Sebastian drops his grip and steps back. I extend the same gesture to the child leading his family alone, burdening an unafair weight, of sin and shame. My expression must convey pity. His eyes narrow as he shakes my hand. 

"Nice to officially meet you." I smile. "So, you're under contract as well?" Thankfully it's so loud in the vast, busy room we're meeting in, no one can hear us, or, no one cares to listen. 

"Somewhat." I answer without consent. I don't wish to speak for Felix, so I stop. "It's-" 

"I don't care, actually." Ciel cuts me off. "That's your business." I noticed his reaction, though. He did look surprised. Thankfully, though, he let it go. "Shall we continue? Between the four of us, I know we cannot lose money here." 

I laugh, and Felix smiles. Sebastian does, too, and I catch it. It looks different, more than just an agreeable, polite acknowledgment. It looked like a leer, like it wasn't meant for anyone but me. He looks, quickly, at Felix. I tense up. All at once, I feel like an outsider. I feel like they're hiding something from me. I ignore it, as Felix takes my hand, leading me forward. 

"Who shall we ruin today?" I almost sneer it. Why am I suddenly so angry? Oh. Right. Maybe it was because I had to have Felix's permission to be here. Somehow he worked it out with the Americans, to let me on the floor this one time. We already stand out as British nobles anyway, and apparently I was 'a treat' and 'a sight for the tired eyes of sleepless old investors' as one absolute prince put it. Men can be such awful creatures. "I'm allowed to be exceptionally avoricious this time." I lean my head back, looking up at my husband. "Greed is the reason I've come here." 

Ciel scoffs. "What else brings anyone to Wall Street?" 

__________________________________________

"Holy Hell." I exhale, as more than one of those in my company smirk. "We've really come out with a lot today." I shake my head. "This alone is more than enough to get a family through the rest of their lives." 

"The stocks will only increase in value at this point. There's more to be made off of these holdings." It's Sebastian who clarifies the relativley obvious. "You'll continue to benefit from this." 

"I know that." I turn to face him directly. He's looking at me so strangely, almost as though I'd be easy to claim. Maybe he knows more about Felix and I than I once thought. "I'm well aware of how this works." 

Ciel looks up at us. "What about that, Sebastian? Aren't her manners absolutley perfect?" He scoffs. I hold back a laugh. "Anyway," He looks back down, then out at the still swirling array of eager hands flying to reel in more and more profit. "I think we can call it a day." I agree, and together, we begin to walk out into the street. 

All at once, we're stopped by a man wearing a blue suit. Gigantic, he towers over even Sebastian and Felix. He folds his arms and taps his foot. It clicks, irritaringly, jarringly, in spite of the perpetual rancour of the exchange. I'm already over it. 

"Move!" I order, foolishly assuming immediate compliance. "Who do you think you are, coming at us like that? Get out of the way!" 

"No, Ma'am, please, step aside." His eyes narrow as he looks at Felix. "You're his wife?" I don't like the way he's glaring at him. 

"Yes. What of it?" I fold my arms, mirrioring his stance. I don't bother to see what Ciel and Sebastian are making of the situation. 

"I apologize beforehand, but I am going to have to do this. Don't take it personally." 

"What are you talking abou-"

The man hits Felix so hard I fall to the floor. He then turns on Sebastian and Ciel. He reaches in to his jacket and pulls out what would have made me laugh, had it not been for the fact that he was, wholly, fully serious: a crucifix made into a knife, holy water guns, and what appear to be eucharrist wafers laced with toxin. They glow, phosphoescent, like the Hound of the Baskervilles. 

"What the hell!?" I shout, losing my compousre entirely. I didn't expect any of this. I have no idea what is going on. Is this part of our plan? Is this intentional, on our part? 

Whatever it is, I don't like it. This is a complication, and one I really do not want to deal with. 

"I am so not in the mood for this lunacy!" I swear I hear laughter. It only makes me angrier.