Present to Future: Part Three

Harry's Perspective

"I wish to stay here Harry. Grow old... with you." she lifted her head off my shoulder and looked into my eyes.

"Do you really mean that?" I asked her. Why would anyone want to stay with me? Spend a lifetime with me?

"I do." she replied, her voice cracking.

"Then... I hope you won't hate me for what I'm going to do." She threw me a confused look before I gently cupped her cheek and pulled her lips up to mine. I heard her gasp for a second, so I pulled away. "I... I'm sorry 'Mione. I- I just..." I trailed.

"It's okay Harry. I don't hate you for this." she told me while locking her gaze onto mine.

"You don't?" I asked.

"I don't." she replied, but I could tell there was some uncertainty in her tone.

"What about Ron? You don't have feelings for him anymore?" I asked, with worry.

"That bastard lost any respect and feelings from me when he disloyally ditched us because sitting in a tent was way too much work. We were doing all the thinking and searching, and we let him be. And he couldn't handle it." She said with frustration, but certainty. She leaned back against the tree.

Hermione's Perspective

A few days passed after the kiss, and we didn't speak of it. It was kind of awkward to do so. Tonight was my turn again, to keep watch. Everything had been quiet so far. I just hoped it would stay this way. As usual, I gathered my blanket, wand and novel and was just about to leave when I heard the sound of apparition behind me. I whipped around in the speed of light and pointed my wand at whoever was there.

To mine and Harry's surprise it was... "Ron?" Harry croaked behind him. Ronald turned around to look at Harry for a brief moment before averting his gaze to me. I marched up to him and pulled off his bag.

"You complete... arse Ronald Weasley!" I screamed, whacking him with his bag. "You show up here after weeks and you say HEY?" I pointed my wand at him and... Oh, was it about to get messy.

Harry sensed it right away And ran towards me, pulling me back. He grabbed my wand from my hand and tried taking it from me, But I held on tightly.

My grip was strong, and Harry was struggling. "Mione let... go!" I finally gave in and he stuffed my wand in his back pocket where he kept his. "We are going to be civil about this." Harry stated and I could feel my anger boiling.

"CIVIL?" I yelled. "Did you forget Harry? He left us. He! LEFT us!" I repeated with emphasis. But Harry just looked at me. I couldn't read his face. So I turned to... him. "You've got some nerve showing up back here Weasley." I yelled at Ronald.

"Hermione." Harry rubbed my forearm near my shoulder. He guided me to a chair and tried to make me sit down. But I stayed stubborn. "Sit down."

"I'll sit you down!" I sassed.

"Hermione, your anger is clouding your senses. I'll keep watch tonight. You get some rest." Harry told me softly.

"No. You kept watch yesterday. You need your energy too. Besides, I can't stand being in the same room as him." I said to Harry. I picked up my things from the table and headed out, stopping, and throwing a look back at the duo standing in the tent before disappearing into the darkness.

"Lumos." My wand lit up as I found my way to the tree I sat at regularly. I wrapped my blanket around me and clutched it tight before sitting down. I couldn't believe it. Harry was defending him. Why? Did he forget everything Ronald had said before leaving? I played a fragment of the fight before Ronald's hurtful departure.

Flashback: (Hermione's Perspective)

"Do you want to know why I listen to that radio every night, do you? To make sure I don't hear Ginny's name. Or Fred. Or George. Or mum."

"You think I'm not listening too?" he exclaimed. "You think I don't know how this feels?" 

No you don't know how it feels." Harry looked at him in disbelief. "Your parents are dead, you have no family." He yelled. Ron's words cut through my heart with each passing moment.

"No. Ron. You don't mean that." Harry said, his voice cracking in the end. I could see tears in his broken eyes that he refused to let out.

"You're damn right I do!" he yelled again.

Present Time: (Hermione's Perspective)

I felt a tear escape as I realized how hurt and abandoned I felt. I remember thinking: I lost my parents and now he left me too? Not only me, but he left his best friend as well. How could he? I let my tears flow as I hugged my knees closed and buried my head in them as scenes played back in my head as if they were cut together.

Flashes of things Harry said to Hermione: (Hermione's perspective)

"Go with him! You'll be happy. Knowing that, I'll be happy."

"Live your life."

"I love you Hermione... That's why I'm letting you go."

"Goodbye... Hermione" and he walked out.

Present Time: (Hermione's Perspective)

I looked up from my knees and wiped my eyes. I sat there thinking about what I was going to do, what I was going to say, how I was going to feel tomorrow. I longed for the sunrise at dawn because it was so beautiful and calming. Though it only lasted a few minutes. But I also dreaded dawn because it was another day. Another day I'd have to look at him, and listen to him justify with his ridiculous excuses. I could just ignore him, but I'll risk my friendship with Harry if I did that. Dammit. I don't know what to do!