The Astronomy Tower: Part One

"Party at the Gryffindor Common Room everyone!" Ron yelled as everyone pooled in. There was music and dancing and everyone was cheering. Meanwhile, Harry, and Hermione were on the side, watching proudly as their best friend got pats on the backs, handshakes and high fives. Ron stood on a table with an identical expression on his face as everyone chanted his name.

"You shouldn't have done it." Hermione told Harry.

"I know." He replied. "I suppose I could've just... used a confundus charm." Harry said while turning to Hermione.

Oh I'm busted! She thought. "That was different!" she finally said. "That was tryouts. This was an actual game!"

Harry took out the vial from his shirt pocket and held it in front of her face. "You didn't put it in." Hermione stated, meeting his eyes. In which Harry did a subtle nod to say 'No'. She turned her gaze back to Ron who was being smothered. "Ron only thought you did." and Harry nodded a big 'Yes'.

They both turned to look at Ron, who now was being pulled off the table and kissed... by Lavender Brown. And It was evident that Ron was kissing her back. Harry smiled, happy for his friend and everyone around them cheered even louder. Meanwhile, Hermione, grossed out, and hurt by the sight, strutted out the room. Harry immediately noticed that his best friend was missing. He instantly knew what was wrong.

He turned to see his curly honey brown headed friend leave. He followed right after her. He came out of the Gryffindor common room and he looked around. His eyes caught a small figure at the bottom of the stairs wearing Gryffindor colors and crying, with birds flying above her head.

He walked down the stairs and stood next to Hermione. She realized his presence and looked up at him wiping her eyes.

"Charms spell. Just practicing." her voice cracked on the last word as she stifled a sob.

"Well, they're really good." Harry replied, trying to make her feel better. He sat down next to her, about a foot or less space between them.

"How does it feel Harry?" Hermione paused. "When you see... Dean with Ginny?" she finished. But he didn't answer. He didn't answer because he didn't feel anything anymore; when he saw Dean with Ginny. Hermione's sobs stopped for a moment, but then began again. Before Harry could say anything to comfort her, they heard voices. Two voices. Laughing. Ron, and Lavender's voices.

They both emerged laughing and holding hands. Knowing what Hermione must be feeling right now, Harry put a comforting hand on her thigh.

"Oops. I think this room's taken." Lavender said with a fake sympathetic tone. "Come on let's go!" and she ran towards the other set of stairs. Ron, being completely and idiotically oblivious about the sight in front of him: his best friend in tears, decides to ask the most foolish thing.

"What's with the birds?" he asks, smiling. That was it. Hermione was officially mad. She stood up, glared at him and said one word.

"Oppugno." and the sweet birds chirping around her, were enraged and darted towards Ron. He ducked just in the nick of time, which sent the magical birds crashing into the wall and exploding to feathers. Ron just stood there for a moment, looked at the wall, and turned his head to face Harry. Who was already looking at him with anger in his eyes. Though Ron couldn't see it.

"Mental that one!" Ron said as if he was in disbelief as he motioned to Hermione with his eyes. With those words Hermione crumbled down into tears behind Harry.

"Don't you see what you're doing to her?" Harry yelled. But not too loudly. Ron just scoffed and went to join Lavender for a snogging session. As soon as Ron left, Harry knelt down in front of Hermione, who was covering her face with her hands and crying. Harry pulled her hands down from her face to reveal red and puffy eyes which broke his heart.

"I'm going to kill that git you know?" He said in an assuring way. But Hermione's thoughts were too clouded by how Ron was acting to listen to even a word of what Harry was saying.